Dec 13, 2013, 2:28 PM EDT
Yes, but what would Jim Boeheim have said if he was successful at recruiting Andrew Wiggins or Jabari Parker?
There’s plenty of talk about teams tanking this season for the chance to draft Wiggins, Parker, Julius Randle, Joel Embiid and the other elite players expected in the upcoming draft. You need franchise changing players to win in the NBA and if you’re a mid-to-small market NBA team the draft is how you need to get those kinds of players. In short, Milwaukee is doing the right thing.
“I’ve seen all these guys play. I think they’re very talented players. They’re not that kind of player. They’re not transcendent players that are gonna make your franchise into a 10-12-15-year winning franchise because you’re there. I don’t see that.”
Did he feel that Paul George was going to be one? Boeheim is a guy that certainly knows the game and has impeccable credentials, let’s just say that most scouts (not all, but a strong majority) disagree with Boeheim here.
This class of freshmen also brings up the one-and-done rule debate again (one the NBA tabled in the last collective bargaining agreement negotiations then never picked up) and the relationship between the NBA and it’s free farm system.
If I were an NBA coach like Boeheim I’d hate one-and-done, too — the longer you can keep your elite talent around, the better for your program. Know that NBA owners would love to help out college coaches there and make it two-and-done because they think the more time to scout guys the fewer mistakes they make and the lower their risk (history has shown that not to be true, there were busts long before high school kids could commit).
Nobody is fond of the current system; it’s the ultimate compromise where nobody feels they really won. And because of that we may be stuck with it for a while.
- PBT Extra: Spurs lead Texas winners in NBA Free Agency 0
- J.J. Redick: Clippers deserve “F” for free agency after losing DeAndre Jordan 22
- PBT Podcast: Free agency’s winners and losers 0
- Report: Boston Celtics agree to trade for David Lee for Gerald Wallace 18
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 18
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 24
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 80