Dec 13, 2013, 6:22 PM EDT
The Houston Rockets are set to trade valuable big man Omer Asik and want to get it done by next Thursday (the reason is anyone they get in a trade by then can be flipped again at the trading deadline, after that date they have the player for the rest of the season).
Yet while the New Orleans Pelicans (i.e. forward Ryan Anderson) and Milwaukee Bucks (i.e. forward Ersan Ilyasova) have also been tied to the Asik situation, two people with knowledge of both team’s dealings said they are no longer in the mix. The people spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the private nature of the talks. Things could change, of course, but it appears both teams have bowed out for now.
We’ve been telling you for a while New Orleans is not interested in moving Anderson — not for Asik, not for Zach Randolph (another rumor), not for anyone. The fact is they have Anderson under contract for two more years at $17 million total, which is a great deal for them. Also, the Pelicans are +12.2 per 48 when Anderson and Anthony Davis are paired on the court. They want to keep them together for a while and see how that works.
Amick backed that up.
A person with knowledge of the Grizzlies’ dealings said they haven’t had any conversations with New Orleans about a Randolph-for-Anderson swap, and a person with knowledge of the Pelicans’ dealings said the same.
At this point the Bucks need to embrace being bad to get good — that was not the plan before the season started but it should be now.
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 8
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 30
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 55
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 85
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13