Dec 13, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT
Evan Turner leads the Philadelphia 76ers in scoring this season — he’s still not a great shooter but he has a couple spots he can get to on the floor (along the baselines in the midrange) where he is solid, plus he is finishing better inside. He’s really a solid rotation player on most teams, just with the talent level in Philly he has to do more.
He’s in the last year of his contract and is putting up 20.3 points a game — he’s a guy looking to get paid next summer.
The Sixers are not sold they want to be the ones writing those checks, so they are testing the trade market, reports Jared Zwerling at Bleacher Report:
Two sources said the 76ers are worried about next summer’s contract demands of Evan Turner—who’s averaging a team-high 20.3 points per game—and they might want to find cheaper talent this season through a trade. Their target should be, according to one source, Cleveland Cavaliers shooting guard Dion Waiters.
“They would trade Evan Turner for him in a heartbeat,” the source said. “Philly is starting over. Waiters works because he’s a second-year player on the rookie scale and under team control.”
I’m not sure Turner is going to find the market as lucrative as he thinks, but if the Sixers don’t plan to bring him back and they can get something for him now, why not go for it?
The Sixers appear to have found one building block for the future in Michael Carter-Williams (he’s still got to develop but is off to a great start) if Turner is not part of that future better to look for a piece that could be. Not sure Waiters is the answer, but he is affordable.
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 3
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 2
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 21
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 10
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 7