Dec 13, 2013, 10:37 AM EDT
There’s a small window at the start of next week where we could see a little flurry of trades.
On Dec. 15 everyone who signed a contract this summer becomes eligible to be traded. Anyone traded before Dec. 19 can be traded again at the trading deadline (after that you are stuck with the player through the end of the season).
Which leads to this interesting tweet last night from David Aldridge of NBA.com and TNT.
The Rockets have been looking to trade Omer Asik for a power forward that could pair well with Howard — although frankly Terrence Jones seems to be that guy. The Rockets’ starting lineup with Jones has been the best five-man unit in the NBA (minimum 150 minutes). Of course, it didn’t work out that way Thursday night as that lineup was -15 in a loss to the Trail Blazers, but in general it’s been good.
Varejao is interesting. When healthy — and that has been an issue the past few seasons — he is very strong on the glass, plays well on offense out of the high post and he’s a good defender. He’s not a stretch four, but he could provide depth both at the four (next to Howard at times) and he can play some backup center when needed.
Varejao is a name to watch, but it’s the dates next week when you can expect something to happen.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 5
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 8
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4