Dec 13, 2013, 10:37 AM EDT
There’s a small window at the start of next week where we could see a little flurry of trades.
On Dec. 15 everyone who signed a contract this summer becomes eligible to be traded. Anyone traded before Dec. 19 can be traded again at the trading deadline (after that you are stuck with the player through the end of the season).
Which leads to this interesting tweet last night from David Aldridge of NBA.com and TNT.
The Rockets have been looking to trade Omer Asik for a power forward that could pair well with Howard — although frankly Terrence Jones seems to be that guy. The Rockets’ starting lineup with Jones has been the best five-man unit in the NBA (minimum 150 minutes). Of course, it didn’t work out that way Thursday night as that lineup was -15 in a loss to the Trail Blazers, but in general it’s been good.
Varejao is interesting. When healthy — and that has been an issue the past few seasons — he is very strong on the glass, plays well on offense out of the high post and he’s a good defender. He’s not a stretch four, but he could provide depth both at the four (next to Howard at times) and he can play some backup center when needed.
Varejao is a name to watch, but it’s the dates next week when you can expect something to happen.
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 8
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 19
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 12
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 30