Dec 13, 2013, 10:37 AM EDT
There’s a small window at the start of next week where we could see a little flurry of trades.
On Dec. 15 everyone who signed a contract this summer becomes eligible to be traded. Anyone traded before Dec. 19 can be traded again at the trading deadline (after that you are stuck with the player through the end of the season).
Which leads to this interesting tweet last night from David Aldridge of NBA.com and TNT.
ICYMI: Rockets will trade Asik next Wednesday or Thursday. And do not discount Cleveland/Varejao. Would be perfect fit next to Howard.—
David Aldridge (@daldridgetnt) December 13, 2013
The Rockets have been looking to trade Omer Asik for a power forward that could pair well with Howard — although frankly Terrence Jones seems to be that guy. The Rockets’ starting lineup with Jones has been the best five-man unit in the NBA (minimum 150 minutes). Of course, it didn’t work out that way Thursday night as that lineup was -15 in a loss to the Trail Blazers, but in general it’s been good.
Varejao is interesting. When healthy — and that has been an issue the past few seasons — he is very strong on the glass, plays well on offense out of the high post and he’s a good defender. He’s not a stretch four, but he could provide depth both at the four (next to Howard at times) and he can play some backup center when needed.
Varejao is a name to watch, but it’s the dates next week when you can expect something to happen.
- The Extra Pass: This season’s record number of threes is just the start 4
- Sunday NBA grades: Golden State’s Curry, Thompson put on a show 4
- Heat execute in final minutes, Rockets still learning, fall in Miami 20
- Doc Rivers, Clippers players oppose raising NBA’s age limit 25
- Report: LeBron ‘will look at’ Knicks in free agency now that Phil Jackson is in place 69