Dec 13, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
But nothing was as good as Patrick Patterson’s story that he had been sent back the other way.
Patterson was taking his mom to see “Hunger Games Catching Fire” when he found out, he told the National Post.
“My phone was blowing up left and right — friends, people on the team, my agent is calling me,” Patterson said. “I answer it as I’m going into the theatre, and he tells me about the trade and how I’ve been traded and everything. I’m like, ‘Yo, I’ll call you back in about 2½ hours, I’m taking my mom into a movie.’ So I literally found out like five minutes before the movie.”
“It didn’t ruin the movie,” Patterson said. “It was a good movie. I couldn’t let it ruin the movie.”
He didn’t tell his mom until the movie was over. Wise choice.
This trade could be good for Patterson. He had developed into a solid power forward who could stretch the floor or play inside, but who had taken a big step back this season — he is shooting fell to 41 percent (down from 49.4 the season before) and he was hitting just 23.1 percent from three (down from 44.4 percent). Maybe in a new system under Dwane Casey he can regain his old form.
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 42
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 88
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 57
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59