Gilbert Arenas wants another NBA chance, notices Knicks, Nets could use help

Dec 13, 2013, 1:23 PM EDT

Gilbert Arenas china AP

Gilbert Arenas last stepped on an NBA court on May 13, 2012, as a lightly used backup guard for the Memphis Grizzlies. After the last couple years of his career and at age 32, let’s just say it’s a long shot we get to The Hibachi back in an NBA uniform.

But he’s hoping for one more chance.

And in a conversation with Dan Favale of Bleacher Report (of course done as a slide show), Arenas said there were teams like the Knicks he thinks he can help. Mostly in New York.

“I would rather just show (teams what I can do). All they would have to do is give me an opportunity to perform in front of them. You know, I’m a gamer. I work hard. If I’m going to come to your team, or try out for your team, I’m going to give you my all. That’s what I did [when I played]….

“I know the Knicks—I’ve watched them. They need a lot of help; they need scoring. ‘Melo [Carmelo Anthony] needs an outlet. Someone who can just put the ball in the basket and take the pressure off him.
I [also] called Jason Kidd before the season and said ‘Listen, I feel that I can be better than some of the players you’re going to have.’ But they were already stacked to the brim. I thought I would’ve been great coming off the bench for the Brooklyn Nets.”

Arenas also mentions the Bulls and Lakers, who are without Derrick Rose and Steve Nash, respectively.

I’m not sure how much he really helps those teams, but it would be entertaining. The problem for Agent Zero is teams are not really concerned with what you and I would find entertaining — you have to be able to help the team on the court and not be a distraction off it if you are a role player. Does that sound like Arenas?

Most teams when they look to fill the kind of role Arenas would be in would rather go with a young player — they are less expensive and you get the chance to develop them. Arenas has a short window. And he’s Arenas.

Currently Agent Zero is developing apps. He totally should develop one with Hibachi recipes. But I’m not sure the NBA dream is still a realistic one.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat

Jul 30, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

LeBron still not as popular as prior to The Decision, though. It’s only a matter of time until he is.

2. Dion Waiters explains tweet saying he wouldn’t accept bench role

Jul 30, 2014, 1:30 AM EDT

2013 Cleveland Cavaliers Media Day 2013 Cleveland Cavaliers Media Day

Cavaliers guard says initial response stemmed from his straightforward approach, confidence

3. NBA considering charity All-Star game in South Africa

Jul 30, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT

Nelson Mandela Nelson Mandela

Collective Bargaining Agreement limits offseason charity games to United States and Canada

4. Report: Gregg Popovich had hip-replacement surgery

Jul 29, 2014, 10:33 PM EDT

2014 NBA Finals - Game Five Getty Images

Popovich signed contract extension with Spurs this offseason

5. Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold

Jul 29, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT

Image (1) durant_usa_fun-thumb-250x159-20234.jpg for post 4140

“That 2010 team was one of the best experiences I’ve ever had. I think we have a team that’s even better.” —Kevin Durant

6. Report: Magic signing Peyton Siva to unguaranteed contract

Jul 29, 2014, 8:50 PM EDT

Detroit Pistons v Orlando Magic Detroit Pistons v Orlando Magic

Orlando reportedly plans to send former Pistons point guard to D-League

7. Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did.

Jul 29, 2014, 7:51 PM EDT

2014 USA Basketball Men's National Team Practice Getty Images

“I just tell everybody that I’m here in Oklahoma City, I love it here. Who knows what will happen.” —Kevin Durant on his 2016 free agency.

8. Report: Eric Bledsoe-Suns ‘relationship is on the express lane to being ruined’

Jul 29, 2014, 7:11 PM EDT

Eric Bledsoe, Jeff Hornacek, Goran Dragic Eric Bledsoe, Jeff Hornacek, Goran Dragic

Bledsoe reportedly resents how differently Pistons, Jazz and Rockets treated their restricted free agents

9. Report: Mike Scott considering ‘lucrative’ offer to play in Russia

Jul 29, 2014, 6:22 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Indiana Pacers - Game Seven Getty Images

CSKA-Moscow wants to poach Scott from Atlanta Hawks

10. Mavericks sign Ivan Johnson

Jul 29, 2014, 5:37 PM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Atlanta Hawks Dallas Mavericks v Atlanta Hawks

Johnson gets NBA contract after eventful summer league

11. Report: Timberwolves told Kevin Love to sit out the World Cup

Jul 29, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT

Kevin Love Kevin Love

I’m not sure Love is taking advice from Minnesota right now

12. Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable

Jul 29, 2014, 4:11 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers Introduce Byron Scott Getty Images

Lakers introduce Scott as new coach in press conference

13. Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy”

Jul 29, 2014, 3:24 PM EDT

2014 USA Basketball Men's National Team Practice Getty Images

Rose said he was disappointed but he understands ‘Melo’s decision.

14. LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video)

Jul 29, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT

LeBron James LeBron James

Want to see LeBron strip down to his underwear?

15. Steve Nash: ‘I think this is my last season’

Jul 29, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT

Steve Nash, Meta World Peace Steve Nash, Meta World Peace

Lakers guard confirms he’s planning on retirement

16. PBT Extra: Is this the end of Donald Sterling as NBA owner?

Jul 29, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT

Donald Sterling, V. Stiviano Donald Sterling, V. Stiviano

Donald Sterling isn’t going away, but he’s pretty much done as the Clippers owner now.

17. Grizzlies name general manager Chris Wallace general manager

Jul 29, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT

Yes, you read that headline correctly

18. Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on?

Jul 29, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT

DeMarcus Cousins AP

The question with Cousins is never talent, but his maturity seems to be there.

19. Report: Gary Payton assistant-coaching candidate with Lakers, Bucks

Jul 29, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT

Gary Payton #20 Gary Payton #20

Jason Kidd or Byron Scott could hire former Seattle SuperSonic

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches