Dec 13, 2013, 1:23 PM EST
Gilbert Arenas last stepped on an NBA court on May 13, 2012, as a lightly used backup guard for the Memphis Grizzlies. After the last couple years of his career and at age 32, let’s just say it’s a long shot we get to The Hibachi back in an NBA uniform.
But he’s hoping for one more chance.
And in a conversation with Dan Favale of Bleacher Report (of course done as a slide show), Arenas said there were teams like the Knicks he thinks he can help. Mostly in New York.
“I would rather just show (teams what I can do). All they would have to do is give me an opportunity to perform in front of them. You know, I’m a gamer. I work hard. If I’m going to come to your team, or try out for your team, I’m going to give you my all. That’s what I did [when I played]….
“I know the Knicks—I’ve watched them. They need a lot of help; they need scoring. ‘Melo [Carmelo Anthony] needs an outlet. Someone who can just put the ball in the basket and take the pressure off him.
I [also] called Jason Kidd before the season and said ‘Listen, I feel that I can be better than some of the players you’re going to have.’ But they were already stacked to the brim. I thought I would’ve been great coming off the bench for the Brooklyn Nets.”
I’m not sure how much he really helps those teams, but it would be entertaining. The problem for Agent Zero is teams are not really concerned with what you and I would find entertaining — you have to be able to help the team on the court and not be a distraction off it if you are a role player. Does that sound like Arenas?
Most teams when they look to fill the kind of role Arenas would be in would rather go with a young player — they are less expensive and you get the chance to develop them. Arenas has a short window. And he’s Arenas.
Currently Agent Zero is developing apps. He totally should develop one with Hibachi recipes. But I’m not sure the NBA dream is still a realistic one.
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 2
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 30