Dec 13, 2013, 1:23 PM EDT
Gilbert Arenas last stepped on an NBA court on May 13, 2012, as a lightly used backup guard for the Memphis Grizzlies. After the last couple years of his career and at age 32, let’s just say it’s a long shot we get to The Hibachi back in an NBA uniform.
But he’s hoping for one more chance.
And in a conversation with Dan Favale of Bleacher Report (of course done as a slide show), Arenas said there were teams like the Knicks he thinks he can help. Mostly in New York.
“I would rather just show (teams what I can do). All they would have to do is give me an opportunity to perform in front of them. You know, I’m a gamer. I work hard. If I’m going to come to your team, or try out for your team, I’m going to give you my all. That’s what I did [when I played]….
“I know the Knicks—I’ve watched them. They need a lot of help; they need scoring. ‘Melo [Carmelo Anthony] needs an outlet. Someone who can just put the ball in the basket and take the pressure off him.
I [also] called Jason Kidd before the season and said ‘Listen, I feel that I can be better than some of the players you’re going to have.’ But they were already stacked to the brim. I thought I would’ve been great coming off the bench for the Brooklyn Nets.”
I’m not sure how much he really helps those teams, but it would be entertaining. The problem for Agent Zero is teams are not really concerned with what you and I would find entertaining — you have to be able to help the team on the court and not be a distraction off it if you are a role player. Does that sound like Arenas?
Most teams when they look to fill the kind of role Arenas would be in would rather go with a young player — they are less expensive and you get the chance to develop them. Arenas has a short window. And he’s Arenas.
Currently Agent Zero is developing apps. He totally should develop one with Hibachi recipes. But I’m not sure the NBA dream is still a realistic one.
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 0
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 3
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clipper’s Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 16
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 16
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34