Gilbert Arenas wants another NBA chance, notices Knicks, Nets could use help

Dec 13, 2013, 1:23 PM EDT

Gilbert Arenas china AP

Gilbert Arenas last stepped on an NBA court on May 13, 2012, as a lightly used backup guard for the Memphis Grizzlies. After the last couple years of his career and at age 32, let’s just say it’s a long shot we get to The Hibachi back in an NBA uniform.

But he’s hoping for one more chance.

And in a conversation with Dan Favale of Bleacher Report (of course done as a slide show), Arenas said there were teams like the Knicks he thinks he can help. Mostly in New York.

“I would rather just show (teams what I can do). All they would have to do is give me an opportunity to perform in front of them. You know, I’m a gamer. I work hard. If I’m going to come to your team, or try out for your team, I’m going to give you my all. That’s what I did [when I played]….

“I know the Knicks—I’ve watched them. They need a lot of help; they need scoring. ‘Melo [Carmelo Anthony] needs an outlet. Someone who can just put the ball in the basket and take the pressure off him.
I [also] called Jason Kidd before the season and said ‘Listen, I feel that I can be better than some of the players you’re going to have.’ But they were already stacked to the brim. I thought I would’ve been great coming off the bench for the Brooklyn Nets.”

Arenas also mentions the Bulls and Lakers, who are without Derrick Rose and Steve Nash, respectively.

I’m not sure how much he really helps those teams, but it would be entertaining. The problem for Agent Zero is teams are not really concerned with what you and I would find entertaining — you have to be able to help the team on the court and not be a distraction off it if you are a role player. Does that sound like Arenas?

Most teams when they look to fill the kind of role Arenas would be in would rather go with a young player — they are less expensive and you get the chance to develop them. Arenas has a short window. And he’s Arenas.

Currently Agent Zero is developing apps. He totally should develop one with Hibachi recipes. But I’m not sure the NBA dream is still a realistic one.

1. obmig - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Couldn’t crack the Lakers top 15 when he worked out for them while Kobe was hurt. He doesn’t have anything to offer at this point. Good thing for him Orlando pays him $22 mil this year.

2. chargerdillon - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:57 PM

You’d have a better chance trying to play football in the pistol formation HEYYYYOOOOOO

3. pbtunpaidwriter - Dec 13, 2013 at 2:11 PM

What a shame his career was cut short. Loved watching Agent Zero and his crazy game winners.

RIP Hibachi and his 60 pt games. A desperate team might give the much lesser Gilbert Arenas a chance though.

4. jolink653 - Dec 13, 2013 at 2:27 PM

A volume shooter with a bad attitude and someone who causes problems in the locker room? Come on over to the Knicks. At this point, why not

• pbtunpaidwriter - Dec 13, 2013 at 3:05 PM

He’s changed now. If he has a bad attitude, he’ll be kicked out in a second at this point.

• obmig - Dec 13, 2013 at 3:45 PM

He was arrested very recently

5. 00maltliquor - Dec 13, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Let-him-in, let-him-in, let-him-in!
    Bring-him-back, bring-him-back, bring-him-back!!

I wouldnt mind giving him a look-see, given out current situation with all our 3 PGs hurt.

10-day-contract, 10-day-contract, 10-day-contract!!!

6. Mr. Wright 212 - Dec 13, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Unfortunately for him, he is incredibly slow now after those knee problems. Seen the guy play about a year ago and he looked like a guy in a 40+ league at the Y.

7. muhangis - Dec 14, 2013 at 11:26 PM

And I want a chance at being President of the United States of America!

Dude, you failed to treat the game seriously the last couple of years you were in [take a good hard look at your '11 and '12 stats!] … this is what happens as a result. So why do you deserve a shot now [doing literally ZERO since Washington] ?

8. muhangis - Dec 14, 2013 at 11:37 PM

On top, old washed out superstars have a very bad history in the NBA as being anything productive! e.g., Tracy McGrady, Marbury, Iverson, Steve Francis, Antoine Walker, the list just goes on forever! I just don’t see Arenas putting much change to that.

….. we have to go all the way back to Magic in ’95, to see a former star player making a measurable comeback.

9. kanemoney - Dec 15, 2013 at 2:52 AM

Hard to feel sorry who made so much for doing so very little. Worst contract in NBA history? Maybe!

10. daubs17 - Dec 18, 2013 at 7:49 PM

translation: im broke

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches