Dec 12, 2013, 2:21 AM EDT
Our quick look around the association on a busy Wednesday night.
Amar’e Stoudemire, New York Knicks. Stoudemire played 30 minutes. Stoudemire was clutch, hitting a key jumper with less than 3 minutes to go after the Bulls had stormed from 23 points back to tie the game. Stoudemire played good interior defense. Stoudemire showed a real chemistry with Beno Udrih. Stoudemire had 10 points in the Knicks 19-0 second quarter run. Stoudemire had 14 points on 7-of-11 shooting. Not sure I ever expected to type any of those sentences but he was as key as Carmelo Anthony’s 30 points to the Knicks win.
Stephen Curry, Golden State Warriors. He’s here because he dropped 33 points, 16 in the fourth quarter. And he’s here because he does this:
New York Knicks, Chicago Bulls. That grade is for sucking the beauty out of the game of basketball. Since they won maybe the Knicks get a D-, but neither the win nor the injuries to either side excuse them from subjecting us to what they did to James Naismith’s game.
Jason Smith, New Orleans Hornets. The most unheralded of the Pelicans starters had a big night — 22 points, 16 rebounds — against one of the largest front lines in the league in Detroit (he was matched on Andre Drummond and Greg Monroe. He’s a good pick-and-pop guard (or pick-and-flare to the midrange really) and when they use him that way he’s dangerous (he was 4-of-4 from the midrange on the left side of the court.
Utah Jazz offense. Sacramento didn’t play good defense but give credit where credit is due — Utah just could not miss. Richard Jefferson was 7-of-9, Derrick Favors 6-of-9, Alec Burke 7-of-11 and on down the line. The Jazz shot 53.9 percent, hit 13-of-23 from three and had an offensive rating of 133.2 (points per 100 possessions). After the rough start to the season Utah could use a laugher like this.
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 1
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 31
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40