Dec 12, 2013, 2:32 PM EDT
The Knicks need help on offense — a shot creator besides Carmelo Anthony — and they are looking at another point guard to get it.
Multiple reports say the Knicks are now talking with the Toronto Raptors about getting Kyle Lowry, who became available when the Raptors picked up Greivis Vasquez in the Rudy Gay trade (Lowry was available before then, too, but this stepped up the pace). Marc Stein of ESPN was on top of the rumors.
Lowry certainly has been the better point guard — he’s not considered as good a shooter but he’s smart about the shots he takes and therefore has a higher shooting percentage. He’s more efficient on offense and a better, more tenacious defender. He’s an upgrade for New York.
Stein gets to the heart of it — Lowry for Raymond Felton isn’t going to do it for Toronto so the Knicks have to throw in something else the rebuilding Raptors want. Tim Hardaway Jr. would fit that mold (more than Iman Shumpert would, Beck says the Raptors don’t want him but that is the guy the Knicks are likely trying to push). That would be a hit to the Knicks, who are trying to get younger (but have gotten worse in the process). Throwing in Metta World Peace could help balance the salaries.
What Toronto really wants is a first round pick, reports Howard Beck of Bleacher Report. Problem is the Knicks have already traded so many away they don’t have a first rounder they can move until 2018. They could try to get another team involved with a pick in the next couple years, but now the Knicks have to send out another asset to get that pick to get Lowry — would that really be worth it?
If this happens it likely happens before Dec. 19 — any players moved before then can be moved again at the trade deadline. After Dec. 19 and you’re stuck with them the rest of the year, and the Raptors aren’t looking to keep Felton around if they get him.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 7
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 1
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 10
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 30
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29