Dec 12, 2013, 2:32 PM EST
The Knicks need help on offense — a shot creator besides Carmelo Anthony — and they are looking at another point guard to get it.
Multiple reports say the Knicks are now talking with the Toronto Raptors about getting Kyle Lowry, who became available when the Raptors picked up Greivis Vasquez in the Rudy Gay trade (Lowry was available before then, too, but this stepped up the pace). Marc Stein of ESPN was on top of the rumors.
Lowry certainly has been the better point guard — he’s not considered as good a shooter but he’s smart about the shots he takes and therefore has a higher shooting percentage. He’s more efficient on offense and a better, more tenacious defender. He’s an upgrade for New York.
Stein gets to the heart of it — Lowry for Raymond Felton isn’t going to do it for Toronto so the Knicks have to throw in something else the rebuilding Raptors want. Tim Hardaway Jr. would fit that mold (more than Iman Shumpert would, Beck says the Raptors don’t want him but that is the guy the Knicks are likely trying to push). That would be a hit to the Knicks, who are trying to get younger (but have gotten worse in the process). Throwing in Metta World Peace could help balance the salaries.
What Toronto really wants is a first round pick, reports Howard Beck of Bleacher Report. Problem is the Knicks have already traded so many away they don’t have a first rounder they can move until 2018. They could try to get another team involved with a pick in the next couple years, but now the Knicks have to send out another asset to get that pick to get Lowry — would that really be worth it?
If this happens it likely happens before Dec. 19 — any players moved before then can be moved again at the trade deadline. After Dec. 19 and you’re stuck with them the rest of the year, and the Raptors aren’t looking to keep Felton around if they get him.
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 0
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 1
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 10
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 12
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 19
- Kevin Durant on idea stars wouldn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘That’s bulls—‘ 47
- Former Warriors coach Mark Jackson meets with Kings GM, DeMarcus Cousins after Tuesday night’s game 25
- PBT’s Tuesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Grizzlies grind ends Warriors streak 12