Dec 12, 2013, 2:32 PM EST
The Knicks need help on offense — a shot creator besides Carmelo Anthony — and they are looking at another point guard to get it.
Multiple reports say the Knicks are now talking with the Toronto Raptors about getting Kyle Lowry, who became available when the Raptors picked up Greivis Vasquez in the Rudy Gay trade (Lowry was available before then, too, but this stepped up the pace). Marc Stein of ESPN was on top of the rumors.
Lowry certainly has been the better point guard — he’s not considered as good a shooter but he’s smart about the shots he takes and therefore has a higher shooting percentage. He’s more efficient on offense and a better, more tenacious defender. He’s an upgrade for New York.
Stein gets to the heart of it — Lowry for Raymond Felton isn’t going to do it for Toronto so the Knicks have to throw in something else the rebuilding Raptors want. Tim Hardaway Jr. would fit that mold (more than Iman Shumpert would, Beck says the Raptors don’t want him but that is the guy the Knicks are likely trying to push). That would be a hit to the Knicks, who are trying to get younger (but have gotten worse in the process). Throwing in Metta World Peace could help balance the salaries.
What Toronto really wants is a first round pick, reports Howard Beck of Bleacher Report. Problem is the Knicks have already traded so many away they don’t have a first rounder they can move until 2018. They could try to get another team involved with a pick in the next couple years, but now the Knicks have to send out another asset to get that pick to get Lowry — would that really be worth it?
If this happens it likely happens before Dec. 19 — any players moved before then can be moved again at the trade deadline. After Dec. 19 and you’re stuck with them the rest of the year, and the Raptors aren’t looking to keep Felton around if they get him.
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 4
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11