Dec 12, 2013, 1:25 PM EDT
We present this to you with very little commentary on our part.
Jim Brown is an NFL legend and an outspoken man about the African American community and how it fits in with overall American society. Brown was on the Arsenio Hall Show on Tuesday night and was asked to comment about Kobe Bryant’s return to the NBA.
In case you didn’t bother with the video, Brown praised Kobe the athlete but apparently isn’t fond of him as a person. Here’s the money quote (hat tip to The Sports Grid):
“He’s somewhat confused about our culture. Because he was brought up in another country…If I had to invite people to that [black athlete] summit all over,” Brown said, referring to a summit held in the early 70s regarding Muhammed Ali’s refusal to fight in the Vietnam War. “There’d be some athletes I wouldn’t call. He’d be one of them.”
Kobe Bryant spent a number of his formative years in Italy where his father was playing professional basketball.
Kobe fired back on twitter, taking a shot at Brown’s standing in the African-American community.
One of the main goals here at PBT is to bring you the news and stories people around the NBA that people are talking about — and people are talking about this.
Often with that news we throw in our opinion. Not so much here. What you think of Brown, Kobe and the social implications and ramifications of all this really speaks as much to your beliefs as what is being said. So I’ll pass just along the news.
- PBT Extra: Who wins Game 5 between Spurs, Clippers? Flip a coin. 1
- PBT Extra: Rockets must adjust to new Mavericks starting lineup in Game 5 3
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 5
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 20
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 11
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 7
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 42