Dec 12, 2013, 1:25 PM EST
We present this to you with very little commentary on our part.
Jim Brown is an NFL legend and an outspoken man about the African American community and how it fits in with overall American society. Brown was on the Arsenio Hall Show on Tuesday night and was asked to comment about Kobe Bryant’s return to the NBA.
In case you didn’t bother with the video, Brown praised Kobe the athlete but apparently isn’t fond of him as a person. Here’s the money quote (hat tip to The Sports Grid):
“He’s somewhat confused about our culture. Because he was brought up in another country…If I had to invite people to that [black athlete] summit all over,” Brown said, referring to a summit held in the early 70s regarding Muhammed Ali’s refusal to fight in the Vietnam War. “There’d be some athletes I wouldn’t call. He’d be one of them.”
Kobe Bryant spent a number of his formative years in Italy where his father was playing professional basketball.
Kobe fired back on twitter, taking a shot at Brown’s standing in the African-American community.
One of the main goals here at PBT is to bring you the news and stories people around the NBA that people are talking about — and people are talking about this.
Often with that news we throw in our opinion. Not so much here. What you think of Brown, Kobe and the social implications and ramifications of all this really speaks as much to your beliefs as what is being said. So I’ll pass just along the news.
- NBA denies Kings’ protest 2
- Russell Westbrook returns to court tonight for Thunder vs. Knicks 8
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 10
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 8
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 8
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 9