Dec 12, 2013, 1:25 PM EDT
We present this to you with very little commentary on our part.
Jim Brown is an NFL legend and an outspoken man about the African American community and how it fits in with overall American society. Brown was on the Arsenio Hall Show on Tuesday night and was asked to comment about Kobe Bryant’s return to the NBA.
In case you didn’t bother with the video, Brown praised Kobe the athlete but apparently isn’t fond of him as a person. Here’s the money quote (hat tip to The Sports Grid):
“He’s somewhat confused about our culture. Because he was brought up in another country…If I had to invite people to that [black athlete] summit all over,” Brown said, referring to a summit held in the early 70s regarding Muhammed Ali’s refusal to fight in the Vietnam War. “There’d be some athletes I wouldn’t call. He’d be one of them.”
Kobe Bryant spent a number of his formative years in Italy where his father was playing professional basketball.
Kobe fired back on twitter, taking a shot at Brown’s standing in the African-American community.
One of the main goals here at PBT is to bring you the news and stories people around the NBA that people are talking about — and people are talking about this.
Often with that news we throw in our opinion. Not so much here. What you think of Brown, Kobe and the social implications and ramifications of all this really speaks as much to your beliefs as what is being said. So I’ll pass just along the news.
- Kobe Bryant says elite players like LeBron, himself are underpaid. He’s right. 0
- It’s done: Kevin Love traded to Cavaliers, Andrew Wiggins headed to Minnesota in three-team deal 28
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 5
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 30
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 80
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16