Dec 12, 2013, 4:43 PM EDT
Blake has a torn ulnar ligament in his right elbow at least six weeks, the Lakers announced. Speaking with the media, Blake said if he were a baseball player he’d get surgery on this but he’s going to try to recover without going that direction, reports Dave McMenamin of ESPN.
Blake inured his elbow back on Nov. 24 against the Kings and tried to play through it. In those seven games he has shot 38.1 percent overall and 29.7 percent from three (he shot 49 percent from three in the first 10 games of the season).
Blake had been playing better in the point guard role than he had throughout his career, figuring out the angles and pace of the Mike D’Antoni system well. He had averaged 9.8 points, 3.3 rebounds and 7.7 assists a game this season.
The Lakers have no point guards on the roster and may not race out to get one.
If that experimient doesn’t work, the free agent point guards out there right now include Leandro Barbosa (who has played in Mike D’Antoni’s system in Phoenix but now is in Brazil playing there), Shannon Brown and Kendall Marshall. The Lakers do not have any guards they want to call up from their D-League franchise, the D-Fenders.
The Lakers might look around the league at available point guards. Kyle Lowry in Toronto is the biggest name but the Lakers would have to give up good picks to get him.
Steve Nash has flown back to Vancouver to work with a specialist there on his nerve root problem that has kept him out much of the season. When he might return — and if he does — remain up in the air.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 0
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32