Dec 12, 2013, 4:43 PM EDT
Blake has a torn ulnar ligament in his right elbow at least six weeks, the Lakers announced. Speaking with the media, Blake said if he were a baseball player he’d get surgery on this but he’s going to try to recover without going that direction, reports Dave McMenamin of ESPN.
Blake inured his elbow back on Nov. 24 against the Kings and tried to play through it. In those seven games he has shot 38.1 percent overall and 29.7 percent from three (he shot 49 percent from three in the first 10 games of the season).
Blake had been playing better in the point guard role than he had throughout his career, figuring out the angles and pace of the Mike D’Antoni system well. He had averaged 9.8 points, 3.3 rebounds and 7.7 assists a game this season.
The Lakers have no point guards on the roster and may not race out to get one.
If that experimient doesn’t work, the free agent point guards out there right now include Leandro Barbosa (who has played in Mike D’Antoni’s system in Phoenix but now is in Brazil playing there), Shannon Brown and Kendall Marshall. The Lakers do not have any guards they want to call up from their D-League franchise, the D-Fenders.
The Lakers might look around the league at available point guards. Kyle Lowry in Toronto is the biggest name but the Lakers would have to give up good picks to get him.
Steve Nash has flown back to Vancouver to work with a specialist there on his nerve root problem that has kept him out much of the season. When he might return — and if he does — remain up in the air.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 0
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 25
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 22
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15