Dec 12, 2013, 4:43 PM EDT
Blake has a torn ulnar ligament in his right elbow at least six weeks, the Lakers announced. Speaking with the media, Blake said if he were a baseball player he’d get surgery on this but he’s going to try to recover without going that direction, reports Dave McMenamin of ESPN.
Blake inured his elbow back on Nov. 24 against the Kings and tried to play through it. In those seven games he has shot 38.1 percent overall and 29.7 percent from three (he shot 49 percent from three in the first 10 games of the season).
Blake had been playing better in the point guard role than he had throughout his career, figuring out the angles and pace of the Mike D’Antoni system well. He had averaged 9.8 points, 3.3 rebounds and 7.7 assists a game this season.
The Lakers have no point guards on the roster and may not race out to get one.
If that experimient doesn’t work, the free agent point guards out there right now include Leandro Barbosa (who has played in Mike D’Antoni’s system in Phoenix but now is in Brazil playing there), Shannon Brown and Kendall Marshall. The Lakers do not have any guards they want to call up from their D-League franchise, the D-Fenders.
The Lakers might look around the league at available point guards. Kyle Lowry in Toronto is the biggest name but the Lakers would have to give up good picks to get him.
Steve Nash has flown back to Vancouver to work with a specialist there on his nerve root problem that has kept him out much of the season. When he might return — and if he does — remain up in the air.
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 2
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 26
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 21
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6