Dec 12, 2013, 3:05 PM EST
The Nets and Knicks have been the NBA’s two most underwhelming teams this season, but some statistical models predicted New York would slip. Few, if any, expected Brooklyn to struggle like this.
From afar, I recognize Brooklyn’s troubles, but like most, I’m mostly numb to them. That’s certainly not the case for Kevin Garnett certainly, who waived his no-trade clause to join the Nets..
Here’s a glimpse into his mindset, revealed by a heck of a Freudian slip.
Now, I feel a bit of Garnett’s pain. He said year! That must have felt like one long month, especially to a player as accomplished as Garnett.
The Nets were 5-12 at November’s end, and though that includes a season-opening loss in October, October is often folded into November in NBA monthly splits. In 2007-08, when they won the championship, Garnett’s Celtics lost just 16 games all season. Brooklyn could match that total by tomorrow.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $10,000 Fantasy Basketball league that includes Thursday and Friday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts at 8pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the link.
Even though they’ve won two straight, these are dangerous days for the Nets.
As Garnett’s quote reveals, tension is high. Minor issues that get swept under the rug on winning teams are more likely to blow up, and that just makes problems worse.
Jason Kidd has his work cut out to keep everyone pulling in the right direction. Well, everyone except Lawrence Frank. He’s off somewhere writing daily reports.
See what I mean about issues blowing up under the pressure of a losing season?
- LeBron, after Cavaliers lose by 23 at home to Pistons: ‘Right now we are not very good. In every aspect of the game’ 19
- Paul Pierce ‘shocked’ by Celtics trade of Rajon Rondo to Mavericks 11
- Kobe Bryant will return to Lakers lineup Sunday vs. Suns 14
- Kevin Love benched entire fourth quarter of Cavaliers win over Magic 27
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 19
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 12
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 15
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20