Doc Rivers gets standing ovation upon his return to Boston (VIDEO)

Dec 12, 2013, 12:34 AM EDT

Very classy Boston.

Doc Rivers returned to Boston Wednesday night as the coach of the Los Angeles Clippers. He’d been in Boston nine seasons and won a ring, but there was some question about how he would be received after a rocky split this summer between the sides. Wednesday night it was all love, there were a couple of standing ovations, including the one you see above following a first quarter video tribute.

There are smart basketball fans in Boston, ones that remember what a mess this franchise was before Doc Rivers arrived (and for a few years after he arrived). Rivers played a big role in helping return the Celtics to glory. He deserved a warm welcome and he got it. Well done Boston.

1. peterjohnjoseph - Dec 12, 2013 at 12:48 AM

I honestly was proud of my city tonight, doing the right thing and honoring him the way he deserves to be honored.

I was even more proud of the job Brad Stevens did coaching that game. Doc had to hold his breathe until the last 1:50. Holding a lead over the Clippers until the 3rd, and being down by 2 with 2 minutes to go is admirable. Holding said team to under 100 points is amazing.

I think loosing Doc became much easier to swallow once people realized just how good Stevens is. I don’t think the reaction would of been as warm had Stevens not turned this team into a respectable group that is turning heads and in it every single night down to the wire. He’s brought the best out of everyone and is doing more with less than any coach I’ve seen in the game.

I’m not taking anything away from Doc Rivers. I lived and died through those 8 years. I’m just saying the future on the Boston parquet is bright, and watching him move on isn’t as a big a pill to swallow anymore.

2. jerdogthompson - Dec 12, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Let’s say Phil the pill Jackson had left the Lakers to coach the Clippers….

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say he would have likely been pepper sprayed and then his car torched.

Way to go Boston, classy baby. Perhaps that’s why you have “1” more.

3. bjornreyes - Dec 12, 2013 at 2:16 AM

I would have cried if I were Doc.

Can’t wait for Pierce and KG’s return.

4. timberwolvesbrisin - Dec 12, 2013 at 9:17 AM

God, you’d think he’s the only former coach to return to his former city. Get over yourselves Boston and Doc.

• andyoursistertoo - Dec 12, 2013 at 11:38 AM

It’s called Celtic pride and Celtic tradition. No offense it’s something a T- wolves fan could never understand.

• drewzducks - Dec 12, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Someone sounds bitter over missing Bill Musselman Night at the Target Center.

• dannymac17 - Dec 12, 2013 at 3:04 PM

What would Minnesota know about treating their former coaches who won a trophy returning to their stomping grounds?

Thats right.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches