Dec 12, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
We don’t need to tell you the Pacers are doing just fine without Danny Granger — they have the best record in the NBA (19-3) and knocked off the Miami Heat this week.
Yet with Granger, they either will improve or they will have a potential trade piece to shop around at the deadline (or both).
Granger originally said he expected to make his season debut for the Pacers this Friday, but now those plans have changed as he doesn’t feel ready, reports Scott Agnes of Pacers.com.
“I don’t like where I’m at with my timing and my rhythm and obviously my conditioning,” he said. “…I don’t feel like I’m ready yet. I dribbled the ball off my foot a couple times and just things where you haven’t [been] playing. Lost the ball in transition on a pass. My rhythm isn’t there yet.
“By all means, I could physically play, easily. Like I said, it’s more of a rhythm thing. When you’re playing at those type of speeds, you have to do it for a while to get used to doing it again.”
We’ve heard this same thing from other players lately — they don’t want to get on the court and not feel like they can do the things they expect to do. Still, as we have seen with both Derrick Rose (before the second injury) and Kobe Bryant there still is some rust you can’t shake off in practice.
After the Friday game against Charlotte the Pacers are off for the weekend, then face the Pistons on Monday before traveling to Miami for a rematch on Wednesday. A week from Friday the Houston Rockets come to Indiana.
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 3
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 6
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39