Dec 12, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
We don’t need to tell you the Pacers are doing just fine without Danny Granger — they have the best record in the NBA (19-3) and knocked off the Miami Heat this week.
Yet with Granger, they either will improve or they will have a potential trade piece to shop around at the deadline (or both).
Granger originally said he expected to make his season debut for the Pacers this Friday, but now those plans have changed as he doesn’t feel ready, reports Scott Agnes of Pacers.com.
“I don’t like where I’m at with my timing and my rhythm and obviously my conditioning,” he said. “…I don’t feel like I’m ready yet. I dribbled the ball off my foot a couple times and just things where you haven’t [been] playing. Lost the ball in transition on a pass. My rhythm isn’t there yet.
“By all means, I could physically play, easily. Like I said, it’s more of a rhythm thing. When you’re playing at those type of speeds, you have to do it for a while to get used to doing it again.”
We’ve heard this same thing from other players lately — they don’t want to get on the court and not feel like they can do the things they expect to do. Still, as we have seen with both Derrick Rose (before the second injury) and Kobe Bryant there still is some rust you can’t shake off in practice.
After the Friday game against Charlotte the Pacers are off for the weekend, then face the Pistons on Monday before traveling to Miami for a rematch on Wednesday. A week from Friday the Houston Rockets come to Indiana.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 0
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 19
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18