Dec 12, 2013, 11:36 AM EDT
It’s not that Brandon Jennings can’t play defense. He can. If you remember Jennings from the first couple seasons he was a solid defender on the perimeter.
But that has changed over the years — he doesn’t seem to care about that end of the floor now, save for gambling for steals. He shows flashes, but by and large just comes off indifferent.
Pistons coach Mo Cheeks wants that to change. After back-to-back games where first Ricky Rubio of Minnesota then Jrue Holiday of New Orleans carved up the Detroit defense with penetration, he called out Jennings. Cheeks sees games ahead against Deron Williams (Brooklyn) and Damian Lillard (Portland) and was concerned, as Fran Blinebury reports at NBA.com.
“I think Jennings has a chance to be very good,” Cheeks said. “I keep talking about steps. “You take steps, you get better at defending your position. That’s how you become one of those elite players. You don’t become elite by having someone else guard your guy.”
That someone else is rookie Kentavious Pope-Caldwell. Cheeks said he is considering switching Pope-Caldwell on to the good point guards coming up on the Pistons schedule, basically hiding Jennings on defense.
“Yeah he’d be up for the challenge,” Cheeks said of the rookie. “But if you’re going to be good, and I’m going to say this again, a good point guard, I don’t like the word ‘hide’. I want the guy who’s guarding the ball, who’s running my team, to guard that guy, if you’re going to be good.”
We’ll see if this little shot across the bow wakes Jennings up. Based on the history of the past few seasons, I’d guess not.
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 9
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 12
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 15
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 17
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11