Dec 12, 2013, 2:33 PM EDT
Rajon Rondo’s high school coach said Carmelo Anthony was recruiting Rondo, a 2015 free agent, to New York. As Kurt wrote, those types of conversations happen all the time.
“C’mon, man. In my book, that’s tampering,” he said.
Rondo, via Baxter Holmes of boston.com:
“People talk, media talk, people make up rumors, people run with them,” Rondo said after the Celtics’ shootaround Tuesday before they played the Brooklyn Nets.
“I haven’t spoken to him. He ain’t contacted me. It’s just rumors.”
What else are they supposed to say? I don’t put much stock into answers that are the only reasonable response to a question.
Maybe Melo and Rondo have talked about teaming up. Maybe they haven’t. But those quotes don’t tell me anything.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $10,000 Fantasy Basketball league that includes Thursday and Friday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts at 8pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the link.
No matter what Melo and Rondo say, this rumor seems viable, though.
As long as the Knicks don’t blow their flexibility – OK, maybe it’s not viable – they should have nearly enough cap room in 2015 to sign Rondo even after re-signing Melo. As we saw last season, and reinforced by the lack of it this year, Melo’s Knicks function much better with ball movement. Rondo would definitely help there, and he’d be a big defensive upgrade.
And as much as Danny Ainge says the Celtics are committed to building around Rondo, nobody really believes it. Even if Ainge is actually committed to a Rondo-centric rebuild, the point guard can be mercurial, and a down year or two could make his relationship with the Celtics untenable.
So, keep the idea of Rondo to the Knicks in the back of your mind. Just don’t ask Rondo or Melo about it. They’ve already said all they will.
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 24
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 27
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 8
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8