Dec 12, 2013, 2:33 PM EDT
Rajon Rondo’s high school coach said Carmelo Anthony was recruiting Rondo, a 2015 free agent, to New York. As Kurt wrote, those types of conversations happen all the time.
“C’mon, man. In my book, that’s tampering,” he said.
Rondo, via Baxter Holmes of boston.com:
“People talk, media talk, people make up rumors, people run with them,” Rondo said after the Celtics’ shootaround Tuesday before they played the Brooklyn Nets.
“I haven’t spoken to him. He ain’t contacted me. It’s just rumors.”
What else are they supposed to say? I don’t put much stock into answers that are the only reasonable response to a question.
Maybe Melo and Rondo have talked about teaming up. Maybe they haven’t. But those quotes don’t tell me anything.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $10,000 Fantasy Basketball league that includes Thursday and Friday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts at 8pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the link.
No matter what Melo and Rondo say, this rumor seems viable, though.
As long as the Knicks don’t blow their flexibility – OK, maybe it’s not viable – they should have nearly enough cap room in 2015 to sign Rondo even after re-signing Melo. As we saw last season, and reinforced by the lack of it this year, Melo’s Knicks function much better with ball movement. Rondo would definitely help there, and he’d be a big defensive upgrade.
And as much as Danny Ainge says the Celtics are committed to building around Rondo, nobody really believes it. Even if Ainge is actually committed to a Rondo-centric rebuild, the point guard can be mercurial, and a down year or two could make his relationship with the Celtics untenable.
So, keep the idea of Rondo to the Knicks in the back of your mind. Just don’t ask Rondo or Melo about it. They’ve already said all they will.
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 2
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 19
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 20
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 6
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 5
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 17
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 25