Dec 11, 2013, 2:36 PM EDT
The Warriors need big-man depth.
Festus Ezeli has been out all season. Jermaine O’Neal and Draymond Green are banged up. Marreese Speights can’t gain Mark Jackson’s trust. Andre Iguodala is injured, too, and although he mostly plays on the wing, his absence the number of minutes he and Harrison Barnes can soak up as a small-ball forward tandem.
This isn’t a drastic situation, but if the season ended right now, Golden State would miss the playoffs. The West is just too stacked to leave anything to chance.
So, the Warriors have added a big man, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports:
As the Golden State Warriors absorb injuries and shoddy defense on their frontline, they are signing forward Hilton Armstrong out of NBA D-League affiliate Santa Cruz, sources told Yahoo Sports.
Hilton is a fringe NBA player. The No. 12 overall pick in the 2006 NBA Draft, the 29-year-old hasn’t played in the NBA since 2011, though he spent the preseason with the Pacers. He was averaging 15 points, seven rebounds and three blocks per game in the D-League.
At 6-foot-11, he’ll give the Warriors size. Anything else would be a bonus.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30