Dec 11, 2013, 7:23 PM EDT
We told you this was coming and now a real has been reached: D.J. Augustin is about to be a Chicago Bulls.
Augustin cleared waivers on Wednesday and has reached a deal as a free agent with Chicago, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Augustin needs to pass a physical with the Bulls on Thursday. He was waived by the Toronto Raptors on Monday.
The Bulls need some depth in the backcourt — Derrick Rose is out for the season, Jimmy Butler is still injured, Mike James is out (not to mention Luol Deng and Joakim Noah). Which means on Tuesday night the Bulls Kirk Hinrich, started rookie Tony Snell at the guard spot. And Marquis Teague got time off the bench.
In that situation, Augustin is an improvement. He can provide depth.
He’s not a game changer for the struggling Bulls, however. He was part of the Pacers rotation last season but they let him walk. Augustin signed as a free agent in Toronto but struggled to get minutes (he has played in just 10 games this season). When the Raptors landed Greivis Vasquez in the Rudy Gay trade Augustin was no longer needed and was waived.
Ideally Augustin is really a three-point specialist (although he shot just 1-of-11 from three in Toronto this year). He’s fairly quick with the ball but he struggles to finish in the paint and has struggled from the midrange. His defense will have Tom Thibodeau pulling out what is left of his hair.
This is not a long-term answer, but it’s better than what they got.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 4
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 38
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38