Dec 11, 2013, 11:33 PM EDT
Tom Chambers, the popular former Suns star player and current broadcaster, has been arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence, reports the Arizona Republic.
Chambers has issued an apology to the Suns organization and its fans.
The Arizona Republic has all the details, and they are not pretty.
Chambers, 54, was pulled over about 9:45 p.m. Saturday at Pinnacle Vista and Scottsdale Road in far north Scottsdale. A police officer pulled over Chambers after seeing a GMC pickup truck going north on Scottsdale Road in the bicycle lane and weaving, according to a police report.
Chambers told the officer he had a few beers at the ASU-Stanford football game at Sun Devils Stadium earlier in the night, the report indicates. There was a passenger in the truck, along with two opened bottles of beer inside the vehicle, the report states.
The report also says Chambers was belligerent and yelled during the field sobriety test, which he reportedly refused to take. Chambers consented to a blood draw, was booked and released pending the outcome of the blood results, authorities said.
Chambers issued a statement to local media.
“I take my role as a representative with the Suns very seriously and have always held myself to a high standard. I want to apologize to the Phoenix Suns and its fans for the negative attention this incident has brought upon the organization.”
The Suns have said only that driving under the influence is a serious matter and they are looking into the incident.
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 9
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 16
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 18