Dec 11, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
From the frivolous lawsuit file here at PBT…
A Clippers fan is suing he team for $5 million claiming they are spamming his phone with unwanted texts. TMZ got ahold of the lawsuit and has some details.
The guy behind the lawsuit is Ari Friedman — who claims he went to a game at Staples Center and participated in one of those arena games where you can send a text message to the team that could get posted on the stadium scoreboard. (Sidenote: Who does that???)
In a lawsuit, obtained by TMZ Sports, Ari claims the team assured fans they would not share cell phone information or send return text messages … but alas, Ari claims the Clips broke that promise After the game, Ari says he got hit with text message spam which traced back to the Clippers. He’s pissed because incoming text messages can cost several cents in charges.
First off, why doesn’t the guy have an unlimited texting plan? Doesn’t everyone?
Second, you can usually stop these kinds of texts by sending “STOP” back to the source, at least that’s what one Clips season ticket holder who has done the in-arena thing before who I asked told me.
Finally… $5 million? Really? Michael McCann the sports law guy of Sports Illustrated and NBA TV said of that sum “right now, it’s like Dr. Evil came up with.” He covered this in a couple tweets.
This is just silly, but you need to laugh at something today besides the Knicks.
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 0
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20