Dec 10, 2013, 10:58 AM EDT
Rudy Gay did not suit up for the Sacramento Kings Monday night. Not that they needed him, they got 32 from DeMarcus Cousins, 31 from Derrick Williams and 24 from Isaiah Thomas as they rolled to an impressive win over Dallas.
However, when Gay (and Quincy Acy and Aaron Gray) walked into the building Monday night they got a nice standing ovation from the fans and from the guys on the Kings’ bench. Gay may not be popular in the NBA “Blogosphere” but right now he is popular in Sacramento.
And that can last — if he can learn to play within the team system. Feed Cousins the rock in the post, don’t fire off a jumper over his head. Use the pick-and-roll, don’t gravitate toward isolation sets. Long two pointers are not your friend. This has the potential to be a good pairing in Sacramento and I get why they rolled the dice on it, but it’s still a gamble.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 12
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 41
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31