Dec 10, 2013, 10:58 AM EDT
Rudy Gay did not suit up for the Sacramento Kings Monday night. Not that they needed him, they got 32 from DeMarcus Cousins, 31 from Derrick Williams and 24 from Isaiah Thomas as they rolled to an impressive win over Dallas.
However, when Gay (and Quincy Acy and Aaron Gray) walked into the building Monday night they got a nice standing ovation from the fans and from the guys on the Kings’ bench. Gay may not be popular in the NBA “Blogosphere” but right now he is popular in Sacramento.
And that can last — if he can learn to play within the team system. Feed Cousins the rock in the post, don’t fire off a jumper over his head. Use the pick-and-roll, don’t gravitate toward isolation sets. Long two pointers are not your friend. This has the potential to be a good pairing in Sacramento and I get why they rolled the dice on it, but it’s still a gamble.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 31
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23