Dec 10, 2013, 4:00 PM EST
Tuesday night we are getting an Eastern Conference Finals preview — Indiana vs. Miami.
Please let it be an Eastern Conference Finals preview, because if one of these teams stumbles due to injury or whatever else the other one can start planning what to wear to NBA Finals press conferences. It’s a two-team East this season.
There were questions whether we would get to see Dwyane Wade in this preview game as he continues to limit time on the court to keep his knees healthy, but it appears he is going to go for this one despite missing shootaround, reports Ira Winderman of the Sun Sentinel.
Miami Heat coach Erik Spoelstra opened his comments following Tuesday morning’s shootaround at Bankers Life Fieldhouse by saying, “Everybody should be ready to go tonight.”
Pressed about whether Dwyane Wade or Michael Beasley participated in the session, Spoelstra repeated the answer and then moved on to the next question about Tuesday night’s game against the Indiana Pacers.
Fortunately, center Chris Bosh was more forthcoming, saying Wade did not participate in the session, while forward Michael Beasley did.
Good that everyone is on board for what should be a fun game.
That said, don’t read too much into this contest. There are no statement games in December. Both of these teams will be different come the playoffs, likely in rotation and how they are playing in their systems. Teams grow and evolve over the course of a season and we are just a quarter of the way through this one.
Plus, even if Frank Vogel or Spoelstra had a good idea to spring on this opponent, they are saving it for the playoffs. Nobody is burning a good idea before Christmas. They will hold stuff back.
Still, both teams should be motivated, there is a sense of a rivalry building and both teams will be healthy and ready to go with their regular rotations (save the Pacers’ Danny Granger, who could re-join team this weekend).
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 0
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 3
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1