Dec 10, 2013, 7:01 PM EDT
The Charlotte basketball organization will revert from the Bobcats to the Hornets next season, in a move that has hopes of re-engaging the local fan base with what has been a historically terrible basketball franchise.
Winning solves any team’s problems in terms of ticket or merchandise sales, of course, but in absence of that, an appealing color scheme and logo can be a starting point for some local pride to emerge surrounding a below-average on-court product.
The Bobcats will become the Hornets for the 2014-15 season and beyond, and the organization will give us a glimpse of what that will look like with an official unveiling on deck for Dec. 21.
From the official release:
The Charlotte Bobcats announced today that the organization will introduce the brand identity of the Charlotte Hornets during halftime of the first Buzz City Night on Dec. 21 vs. the Utah Jazz. The Dec. 21 Buzz City Night is driven by Mercedes-Benz and will include Mercedes-Benz sponsoring a Buzz City long-sleeve T-shirt giveaway to the first 10,000 fans in attendance. Tipoff for the Bobcats-Jazz game is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.
The game will serve as the official unveiling of the Charlotte Hornets brand identity and will include the introduction of logos and wordmarks that will be utilized when the Hornets name returns for the 2014-15 NBA season. Bobcats Chairman Michael Jordan will lead the unveiling event during a special on-court ceremony at halftime.
“We are excited to introduce to our fans the next step in our overall brand identity as we transition to the Hornets,” said Bobcats Sports & Entertainment President & COO Fred Whitfield. “Our fans were the driving force to bring back the Hornets name and we wanted to share this announcement with them. In addition to the logo unveil, we are excited to celebrate the first of our five Buzz City Nights. These nights will provide great opportunities to honor the rich history of Hornets basketball with our fans in unique ways.”
Bobblehead figures of Del Curry, Muggsy Bogues and Kelly Tripucka will be among the giveaways for these so-called Buzz City Nights, and the fact that these are the players the organization is able to highlight shows just how much work needs to be done to change the perception of the franchise.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47