Dec 9, 2013, 8:24 PM EDT
Tyreke Evans drove to attack Kevin Durant off the dribble Friday night — Evans had been very aggressive all game, largely carrying the reserves in the first half — he went up for the shot and when he can down he sprained his ankle.
That sprain is going to keep him out a week, maybe two the Pelicans announced Monday night. And while that’s not good, if you saw the injury and how Evans reacted at the time, this seems a lot better than it could have been.
Evans has struggled to own the sixth man role with the Pelicans this season. He’s averaging almost 25 minutes a night scoring 11.8 points a game on 40.9 percent shooting. He’s shooting 10 percent from three.
Evans is still a slasher — 71 percent of his shot attempts have come within eight feet of the rim, the problem is he is hitting just 50 percent of those shots in close. His jumper from outside that range isn’t going to scare anybody.
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 28
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 47
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 16
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 9
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 55