Dec 9, 2013, 8:24 PM EDT
Tyreke Evans drove to attack Kevin Durant off the dribble Friday night — Evans had been very aggressive all game, largely carrying the reserves in the first half — he went up for the shot and when he can down he sprained his ankle.
That sprain is going to keep him out a week, maybe two the Pelicans announced Monday night. And while that’s not good, if you saw the injury and how Evans reacted at the time, this seems a lot better than it could have been.
Evans has struggled to own the sixth man role with the Pelicans this season. He’s averaging almost 25 minutes a night scoring 11.8 points a game on 40.9 percent shooting. He’s shooting 10 percent from three.
Evans is still a slasher — 71 percent of his shot attempts have come within eight feet of the rim, the problem is he is hitting just 50 percent of those shots in close. His jumper from outside that range isn’t going to scare anybody.
- Kevin Durant on return: “I’m not going to rush it all” 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Dallas Mavericks 3
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 34
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 79
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 3
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11