Dec 9, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Getting Rudy Gay in a trade from Toronto was not a sign the Kings want to make a run at the playoffs right now in the West — they are one of just two teams in a deep conference with no real shot at the postseason (Utah is the other).
No, this was about future cap space (once the Gay deal ends) and seeing what players fit next to centerpiece DeMarcus Cousins — can Gay and recently acquired Derrick Williams work as frontcourt partners with Cousins? I’m not sold (unless Gay wants to start passing to Cousins in the post, something he didn’t do consistently with Jonas Valanciunas) but it’s a gamble worth taking for the Kings who didn’t give up that much in the trade.
Next up? League sources told ESPN.com that the Kings will be trying to find a new home for forward Jason Thompson, who presumably wouldn’t quibble with a fresh start after the arrivals of Gay and Williams to play alongside Cousins.
The market for Thompson isn’t going to be that strong. He’s got good size at 6’11” and has shown stretches of solid play in the past but has regressed with his shooting the past couple seasons (46.6 percent this season) and he’s an average rebounder and defender. On top of that he is owed $19.2 million over the next three seasons guaranteed, which is not an outrageous amount but teams are careful about tying up future cap space with players who are not stars.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday night’s games. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Still this is a sign the Kings are retooling their roster with Cousins as the heart of it. Those orders likely cone all the way from ownership. We will see how GM Pete D’Alessandro decides to execute those orders.
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 4
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winers start with Lakers 22
- Stephen Curry, LeBron James unanimous choices, lead All-NBA First Team 24
- Rockets vs. Warriors Game 2: Five things to watch 8
- Hawks face uphill climb after DeMarre Carroll injury 10