Dec 9, 2013, 8:44 AM EDT
All this has left the Los Angeles Clippers short bodies on the wing, so they may bring in veteran Stephen Jackson to fill the gap, reports ESPN’s Marc Stein and Ramona Shelburne.
Sources told ESPN.com that Jackson, who has been searching for a new team since his sudden release by the Spurs shortly before last season’s playoffs in April, has emerged as a prime candidate for the Clippers to sign as early as this week after a series of injuries have decimated L.A.’s depth….
Former Los Angeles Lakers and Phoenix Suns guard Shannon Brown has also been mentioned as a potential target, but Jackson has the sort of size, 3-point shooting range and playoff résumé that could well appeal to Rivers as the Clippers search to fill the void.
Jackson did not play well last season in San Antonio — he averaged 6.2 points a game on 37.3 percent shooting, hit 27.1 percent from three, and had a PER of 8.1. Throw in the disagreement with Gregg Popovich about his role and he was shown the door.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday night’s games. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Which is to say, not sure he helps the Clippers all that much, but they are in the “beggars can’t be choosers” category now thanks to the injuries.
Capt. Jack has reportedly kept himself in shape while in Texas, hoping for this phone call. The Clippers could make room to sign both Jackson and Lamar Odom, who they have been in contact with to provide depth up front. However, if the Odom move happens it is expected to be into next year first.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 0
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 28
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 17
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 42
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 15
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6