PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right

Dec 9, 2013, 7:20 PM EDT

Kobe Bryant is back with the Lakers and frankly that’s just good for the NBA — it’s a star driven league and it needs its elite players on the court.

That said Kobe looked rusty and his teammates clearly were not used to playing with him in the Lakers loss to the Raptors Sunday. Kay Adams and I talk about the positives for the Lakers out of his return, but also how in a deep Western Conference they need to get this figured out quickly and not dig hole they can’t climb out of.

The other big news in the NBA is the seven-player trade that sent Rudy Gay from Toronto to Sacramento. We look at that from both sides — what Toronto and Sacramento get out of this.

1. cmehustle - Dec 9, 2013 at 8:09 PM

His first game back so I wouldnt read too much into it. I just dont think they will get much done this season. This is not a great team by any stretch even with a healthy Kobe. Theyre are plenty of teams who deserve way more press.

• pbtunpaidwriter - Dec 9, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Kobe is Kobe, love it or hate it, he attracts all the readers and makes all the headlines.

Even guys like you read it so that’s saying something.

• cmehustle - Dec 10, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Dude Im a big time BBall fan. Both college and pro but mainly pro. Its very very close to my favorite sport, but I would have to put NFL over NBA by a hair. I comment on pretty much any article I feel like it, not just Kobe articles. Go and check my track record.

2. detectivejimmymcnulty - Dec 9, 2013 at 8:17 PM

To assume a 36 year old player coming off an Achilles injury to return to his prior form (especially at an elite level) is crazy. Can Kobe get there? Sure. Will he? We’ll see.

3. monkeyhateclean - Dec 9, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Kobe is done. So glad the “other” LA team gave this ego-maniacal clown guaranteed money to pilot the Titanic right into an iceberg.

NBA fans outside of LA will all revel in watching 20 years olds outrun, outhustle and plain school this fool, on both ends of the court. Every game. And more embarrassing will be how the media tries to whitewash this idiot’s “legacy”. Kobe’s legacy was written in a hotel room in Denver.

Nothing he has done since has been worth any recognition. Downvote if you agree!!!

4. lemfax - Dec 9, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Doesn’t have much time to make it right… :)

5. oregon59 - Dec 10, 2013 at 12:27 AM

All this Kobe worship just bites me. Nobody seems to remember, at best he is an adulterer, at worst he is a rapist who bought his way out. I guess in America performance absolves all sins. I’m ashamed to see him as an idol. I wouldn’t want to put him as a role model for my kids.
    I guess I’m in the minority though.

6. dinofrank60 - Dec 10, 2013 at 12:28 AM

A star driven league??? So that mean that I watch for the stars and not the game??? ‘Cause if I don’t, the casual fans will be mad at me???

7. valeb2012 - Dec 10, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Why are there so many Kobe haters? Honest question.

• fatcamper - Dec 10, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Me-first attitude, his feud with Shaq, the obsession with being MJ, the fact that he is a Laker, that whole infidelity with a girl at a hotel fiasco, and the made up quirk lip-biting thing he did for a short period. Great player though, and I appreciate his playing in the Olympics.

• topdawg4ever - Dec 10, 2013 at 12:37 PM

BOOM. Nail on the head, fatcamper.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches