Dec 9, 2013, 12:55 PM EDT
Both Pierce and Williams went through practice on Monday, reports A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com.
We knew Williams was close to returning, however Pierce was expected to be out at least two weeks when it was announced 10 days ago he broke the third metacarpal bone in his right hand. He said his decision to play will be based on how his hand feels Tuesday after going through a full practice Monday.
D-Will, who needs to be the guy with the ball in his hands controlling the Nets offense, hasn’t played since Nov. 20 due to a sprained ankle. Injuries had also sidelined him for most of training camp.
While the Nets looked the worst they have this season in their 30-point loss at home to the Knicks over the weekend, which dropped them to 6-14 on the year, management is being patient with coach Jason Kidd because injuries have riddled this team and destroyed any chance at building chemistry. That includes a sprained ankle for Brook Lopez that kept the Nets’ best player on the sidelines for seven games.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday night’s games. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Getting Pierce back to play the Celtics would have all kinds of significance for Boston (even though the game is in Brooklyn) but mostly it’s just a chance to start to see what this Nets team can be. In the sad Eastern Conference the Nets are not close to out of the playoff hunt — they are just three games out of the Atlantic division lead.
However Brooklyn is going to have to turn around what has been the league’s worst defense and find some improved offense behind Williams and Lopez to make their not-so-lofty goals of a playoff slot a reality.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 7
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 8
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 42
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11