Dec 9, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT
Memphis extended the contract of Quincy Pondexter this summer thinking they had secured a solid outside shooter they desperately needed at a fair price.
Now they may have lost him for the season.
An MRI Monday revealed a tarsal navicular stress fracture in his right foot, the team announced. That’s a small bone near the center and top of the foot, not far from the ankle joint.
While the team will only say he is out “indefinitely” this likely will keep him out for the season, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Pondexter signed a four-year, $14 million extension this summer but has struggled some this year averaging 6.3 points per game — shooting just 32.4 percent from three, well off his nearly 40 percent pace last year — due to injury. First it was a broken nose where he had to try playing with a mask.
Now this is more serious — and they are going to miss his shooting. Pondexter played an increasingly large role in the Grizzlies playoff run last year because he could space the floor. Now they will count on Mike Miller to fill more of that role.
- PBT Extra: Will Doc Rivers sit Chris Paul in Game 2? 0
- Tony Allen on MVP Stephen Curry: “It ain’t nothing I ain’t never seen before” 3
- PBT Extra: Grizzlies searching for answers, Mike Conley in Game 2 1
- PBT Extra: Hawks need to lean on starters more, hit open looks in Game 2 0
- CP3 who? Clippers come from behind to take Game 1 from Rockets on road. 23
- Bulls ride hot start, strong shooting night to Game 1 win in Cleveland 25
- Chris Paul out for Game 1 of Clippers-Rockets series 1
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry is the MVP for a modern NBA 13