Dec 9, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT
Memphis extended the contract of Quincy Pondexter this summer thinking they had secured a solid outside shooter they desperately needed at a fair price.
Now they may have lost him for the season.
An MRI Monday revealed a tarsal navicular stress fracture in his right foot, the team announced. That’s a small bone near the center and top of the foot, not far from the ankle joint.
While the team will only say he is out “indefinitely” this likely will keep him out for the season, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Pondexter signed a four-year, $14 million extension this summer but has struggled some this year averaging 6.3 points per game — shooting just 32.4 percent from three, well off his nearly 40 percent pace last year — due to injury. First it was a broken nose where he had to try playing with a mask.
Now this is more serious — and they are going to miss his shooting. Pondexter played an increasingly large role in the Grizzlies playoff run last year because he could space the floor. Now they will count on Mike Miller to fill more of that role.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 6
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10