Dec 9, 2013, 2:39 PM EST
Memphis extended the contract of Quincy Pondexter this summer thinking they had secured a solid outside shooter they desperately needed at a fair price.
Now they may have lost him for the season.
An MRI Monday revealed a tarsal navicular stress fracture in his right foot, the team announced. That’s a small bone near the center and top of the foot, not far from the ankle joint.
While the team will only say he is out “indefinitely” this likely will keep him out for the season, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Pondexter signed a four-year, $14 million extension this summer but has struggled some this year averaging 6.3 points per game — shooting just 32.4 percent from three, well off his nearly 40 percent pace last year — due to injury. First it was a broken nose where he had to try playing with a mask.
Now this is more serious — and they are going to miss his shooting. Pondexter played an increasingly large role in the Grizzlies playoff run last year because he could space the floor. Now they will count on Mike Miller to fill more of that role.
- Report: Timberwolves’ Ricky Rubio set to return Monday vs. Dallas 4
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 11
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 12
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 27
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 9
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 45
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10