Dec 9, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT
Memphis extended the contract of Quincy Pondexter this summer thinking they had secured a solid outside shooter they desperately needed at a fair price.
Now they may have lost him for the season.
An MRI Monday revealed a tarsal navicular stress fracture in his right foot, the team announced. That’s a small bone near the center and top of the foot, not far from the ankle joint.
While the team will only say he is out “indefinitely” this likely will keep him out for the season, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Pondexter signed a four-year, $14 million extension this summer but has struggled some this year averaging 6.3 points per game — shooting just 32.4 percent from three, well off his nearly 40 percent pace last year — due to injury. First it was a broken nose where he had to try playing with a mask.
Now this is more serious — and they are going to miss his shooting. Pondexter played an increasingly large role in the Grizzlies playoff run last year because he could space the floor. Now they will count on Mike Miller to fill more of that role.
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 28
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 26
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 56
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48