Dec 9, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT
Memphis extended the contract of Quincy Pondexter this summer thinking they had secured a solid outside shooter they desperately needed at a fair price.
Now they may have lost him for the season.
An MRI Monday revealed a tarsal navicular stress fracture in his right foot, the team announced. That’s a small bone near the center and top of the foot, not far from the ankle joint.
While the team will only say he is out “indefinitely” this likely will keep him out for the season, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Pondexter signed a four-year, $14 million extension this summer but has struggled some this year averaging 6.3 points per game — shooting just 32.4 percent from three, well off his nearly 40 percent pace last year — due to injury. First it was a broken nose where he had to try playing with a mask.
Now this is more serious — and they are going to miss his shooting. Pondexter played an increasingly large role in the Grizzlies playoff run last year because he could space the floor. Now they will count on Mike Miller to fill more of that role.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29