Dec 8, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
The Nets are going through an especially rough time right now, and even mentioning as much seems like a gross understatement of the facts.
Brooklyn has lost several of its key players due to injury, including Deron Williams, Paul Pierce, Andrei Kirilenko, and Jason Terry. Head coach Jason Kidd parted ways with assistant Lawrence Frank on Tuesday, and has been trying to make adjustments on the fly ever since — ones that have ultimately hurt the team more than they’ve helped, considering the consecutive home losses that have been suffered, each of which came by in the neighborhood of 30 points.
But despite the blowouts and the dismal performance on the court by the players healthy enough to be out there, Kidd is in no danger of losing his job just yet. The team wants to see what Kidd is able to do with the roster at or near full strength before making any such decision on his future.
Kidd isn’t in as much trouble as you’d think. The Nets don’t believe they’ll get an accurate picture of what he can do as a coach until they’ve got their full complement of players. That means the clock isn’t ticking on him until after Deron Williams comes back and starts playing regularly.
And that makes some sense.
Kidd hasn’t done anything from a coaching perspective to lead you to believe he knows what he’s doing in the role to this point, and has refused to use the injuries as an excuse — even though he and Kevin Garnett both mentioned that the team needs to get “whole” after the blowout loss to the Knicks earlier this week.
The reality is that management wants to see what it has in its roster before blaming Kidd for this mess, but one thing is clear: If Deron Williams returns and Brooklyn keeps losing by 20+ points regularly, then the team won’t have any choice but to replace Kidd before the season is finished.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49