Dec 7, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
The buzz surrounding Bryant’s long-awaited debut continued at the Lakers practice facility on Saturday, when Mike D’Antoni answered questions about how much Bryant will play, at what level, and just how much his return will impact a team that has built great chemistry in getting off to a 10-9 start without its best player.
First, the minutes:
D’Antoni on Kobe’s minutes tomorrow: “Somewhere in the 20s, but not more than that.” No strict limitations, “we’ll just watch it.”
— Los Angeles Lakers (@Lakers) December 7, 2013
Next, what can we expect from Bryant, from Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times:
“He’s not going to be above the rim for a while, which is fine,” Lakers Coach Mike D’Antoni said Saturday. “There’s been great players that have played below the rim. He’ll have to do that for a little bit.”
He averaged 27.3 points and six assists last season. Can he come close to those numbers this season?
“I think so,” D’Antoni said. “I don’t think right at the start, but I’d give him a month and he should be back to those numbers.”
And finally, how the addition of Bryant will impact his teammates, from Shahan Ahmed of NBC Los Angeles:
“[Bryant is] a big piece. You throw that boulder in the water, there’s going to be some ripples,” D’Antoni said. “People have to adjust to it and some people’s minutes will be adjusted.”
All eyes will be on Bryant and the Lakers Sunday night to see how it all plays out.
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 2
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 2
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 2
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 7
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 8
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 15