Blazers set NBA record for three-point percentage in rout of Jazz (VIDEO)

Dec 7, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT

If you’ve only been paying cursory attention to the NBA in its early stages this season, you may not have noticed the rise of the Portland Trail Blazers.

But following Friday night’s 130-98 pasting of the Utah Jazz, Portland now has a record of 17-3 — the best in a very deep Western Conference.

Guys like Wesley Matthews have been shooting at historically great levels, LaMarcus Aldridge has been playing like an elite big man and Damian Lillard has been masterful in running the show.

The Blazers are playing so well right now that they’re setting NBA records.

In Friday night’s victory, the team made 17 of its 23 attempts from three-point distance, good for a mark of 73.9 percent. It was the highest percentage from beyond the arc in history for a club with at least 15 attempts, and it would have been even better if Will Barton hadn’t jacked up two misses from distance during the fourth quarter’s garbage time.

1. Awol.West - Dec 7, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Hope they don’t fade away like most surprising teams do, they are fun to watch. With that said, the Bulls fan in me wants things to go south so they can trade LMA!

• jamesinva - Dec 7, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Having been a long time Trail Blazers fan, with knee injuries to guys like Sam Bowie, Brandon Roy and Greg Oden, I know how awful it is when a star goes down (I know Bowie wasnt a star neither was Greg). These were franchise type players that either showed flashes, or had massive potential. Seeing Rose go down (again) was horrible and I know how that feels so to all the Bulls fans, I hope he recovers and comes back strong. But to this particular Bulls fan talking nonsense..wtf is wrong with you? You want the Blazers to trade Aldridge ? And you think he would go to Chicago why? Shouldn’t you be embarrassed that ya’ll drafted him #2 then traded him to Portland for Tyrus freaking Thomas?

• Awol.West - Dec 9, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Me, embarassed? Perhaps talk TO me rather than AT me stranger. I wrote leading up to that draft that I hoped the Bulls would draft (and keep) LMA. I’ve enjoyed watching Portland since their high-octane offenses in the early ’90s. I have a high regard for how the front office operates, and I cannot stand the Chicago joke of a front office. The basketball fan in me loves the game, likes watching the Blazers, and like I said I hope they keep it up. The Bulls fan in me hopes they break up the core and LMA is my top target to pair with Rose, if he were to become available. You must have heard LMA being vocal in the offseason, so while it was nice of you to relate to the knee injuries, we are in agreement about Tyrus Thomas but you are silly in terms of nonsense. Enjoy your bounce-back win in Utah tonight.

2. pbtunpaidwriter - Dec 7, 2013 at 2:39 PM

RIP CITYYY!

3. fearthehoody - Dec 8, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Sadly the Blazers are having the year the Clippers were supposed to! Bring back VDN???????

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches