So when does Steve Nash return? He has no idea.

Dec 6, 2013, 6:04 PM EDT

Utah Jazz v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Kobe Bryant decided to stay home from Sacramento, but he will be in the Lakers lineup Sunday night against Toronto.

Steve Nash went with the Lakers up to Sacramento after a week of limited practices but nobody has any idea when we will see him. Or even if we ever will.

Nash spoke with reporters in Sacramento and sounded very unsure of the return from his nerve root problem that impacts both his back down through his hamstring. Here are Nash’s quotes, via Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Daily News.

The 39-year-old point guard revealed he had hoped earlier this week that he would return when the Lakers (9-9) visit the Sacramento Kings (4-11) tonight at Sleep Train Arena. But Nash said “calmer heads prevailed” and opted a more conservative approach to ensure he wouldn’t “risk this kind of yo-yo season.”

“I might not be able to play anymore,” Nash said. “I might have to yo-yo it. I might be able to play the rest of the way. Honestly right now, I’m trying to see if I can play the rest of the way….

“It’s a very slippery slope if I do have a setback,” Nash said. “But I have to dance with the devil at some point and get back out there. It’s kind of tricky.”

It sounds like if and when Nash returns it will be in a limited role. Nash practiced for no more than 15 minutes in the Lakers practices this week and didn’t take any contact.

It would be good to see him get out on the court again — after his tremendous career which included overcoming a lot of obstacles, it would be fitting that he gets to leave on his own terms. Not forced off the court due to an injury.

1. jammer73 - Dec 6, 2013 at 6:10 PM

RETIRE!

• louderthanwords1 - Dec 7, 2013 at 4:03 AM

.Because his playing hurts you personally? He loves the game and has been playing it his whole life but sure just retire and give up what you love forever. Why don’t you give up something you’ve loved your whole life and can never do again?

• fanofevilempire - Dec 7, 2013 at 7:57 AM

loudmouth, he is done and when Kobe gets back Nash better man up and get his azz in his BIG boy pants and get on the floor and if he can’t go, RETIRE!

• louderthanwords1 - Dec 31, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Hey loudmouthed New Yorker(Wait I think that’s being redundant) now that Kobe is sitting at home again injured why don’t you start calling for him to retire? Call for Nash to retire but not for Kobe after Kobe signs an absurd contract while he was injured the first time? Oh and I’m a Kobe fan you however are just a loud jerk that I saw the comment from this morning. For New Years resolution why don’t you ask for a lil understanding of what it’s like to push yourself daily to do something you love. There’s a reason Jordan came back, why Favre had a hard time retiring, Camby still tries to get out there. Pickup games in any sport are nowhere near as satisfying or rewarding as playing at the highest level.

• mytthor - Dec 7, 2013 at 3:18 PM

He doesn’t have to give up basketball. He can still play for fun and I guarantee he can be a coach or a broadcaster if he wants.

In case you haven’t noticed – he’s not playing ball now. So giving it up wouldn’t be much of a change.

And if he isn’t ever going to come back, he should retire and give the team the flexibility. That said, he certainly deserves to come back full strength and give it another shot. I’d rather see what his version of 100% is rather than have him limp around. The Lakers are staying in the playoff picture and as long as they do that they can be patient with him.

2. sportsfan18 - Dec 6, 2013 at 6:51 PM

If he has to retire, I hope he’s able to get out there and play decently in at least one more game.

Maybe after making a 3 pointer or a nice assist, they could call timeout and he could walk off the floor into retirement.

I’d hate to see him retire without getting on the floor one more time at least.

3. brotherlove2012 - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:50 PM

I think it’s time for him to go out. At this point it has become ridiculously complicated for him to go on,it’s not worth it as the Lakers are not in the run for a championship this year.

4. 00maltliquor - Dec 7, 2013 at 4:08 AM

Man this is sad to see the great Steve Nash go out like this. He was a phenomenal player up until just recently. He’s had one helluva run, but at age 39, he may just have to hang ‘em up before he risks his long term health. Bball may be over for him but at 40 there is still supposed to be A LOT of just regular living left for him. I wish him the best. One helluva baller, but even better person from what I can tell. God bless, Nashty.

• fanofevilempire - Dec 7, 2013 at 7:58 AM

He better get his self together because Kobe isn’t interested in any of that sheet,

5. sfm073 - Dec 7, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I’m usually all for someone playing for as long as they want, but we’re talking long term health here. I’d to see a HOF player crippled by the time he is 60.

Wizards playing spoiler in East