Dec 6, 2013, 6:04 PM EDT
Kobe Bryant decided to stay home from Sacramento, but he will be in the Lakers lineup Sunday night against Toronto.
Steve Nash went with the Lakers up to Sacramento after a week of limited practices but nobody has any idea when we will see him. Or even if we ever will.
Nash spoke with reporters in Sacramento and sounded very unsure of the return from his nerve root problem that impacts both his back down through his hamstring. Here are Nash’s quotes, via Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Daily News.
The 39-year-old point guard revealed he had hoped earlier this week that he would return when the Lakers (9-9) visit the Sacramento Kings (4-11) tonight at Sleep Train Arena. But Nash said “calmer heads prevailed” and opted a more conservative approach to ensure he wouldn’t “risk this kind of yo-yo season.”
“I might not be able to play anymore,” Nash said. “I might have to yo-yo it. I might be able to play the rest of the way. Honestly right now, I’m trying to see if I can play the rest of the way….
“It’s a very slippery slope if I do have a setback,” Nash said. “But I have to dance with the devil at some point and get back out there. It’s kind of tricky.”
It sounds like if and when Nash returns it will be in a limited role. Nash practiced for no more than 15 minutes in the Lakers practices this week and didn’t take any contact.
It would be good to see him get out on the court again — after his tremendous career which included overcoming a lot of obstacles, it would be fitting that he gets to leave on his own terms. Not forced off the court due to an injury.
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 2
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 2
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 2
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 8
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 15