Dec 6, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
The USA Today has a fantastic feature speaking to Rajon Rondo’s high school coach, Steve Smith (not the player Steve Smith, different guy). It’s well done, you can learn about Rondo as a young player.
Then came this interesting tidbit when Smith was asked if he thought Rondo could bounce all the way back from the ACL tear that ended his season last year and has sidelined him to start this one.
SS: No, I think he should be fine. He took a long time off and he’s rehabbed the right way. Whether he stays in Boston or not who knows. I know, talking to Melo , he’s recruiting Rajon to come to New York. Melo thinks he’ll come, too. You never know about that stuff though. I think either way, Rajon will be fine.
WHAT?!? Carmelo Anthony is already recruiting Rondo to the Knicks?
Let’s make a few comments here.
First, for Anthony to be recruiting guys to New York would mean he plans to stay in New York. That has always been the most likely outcome and was probably the plan this summer when any recruiting was going on — how he feels now that this season is underway is up for debate.
Second, the Knicks should have cap space in 2015 (unless they blow it before then, this is a James Dolan team) and Rondo would be an interesting fit with Carmelo.
Third, if they think Rondo could bolt does Boston have to become more serious about trading him?
Fourth, this kind of thing goes on all the time — players try to talk their buddies and guys they think would fit to coming over to their team. Well, not Derrick Rose but other guys do it. Miami started as a conversation between the players — but in that case it took Pat Riley having the genius to clear out the cap space and the cajones to recruit LeBron James and Chris Bosh. Would Rondo trust New York management the same way?
Fifth is this, via our friend Howard Beck of Bleacher Report:
Finally, the buzz is the Knicks really want to go after Kevin Love in 2015. Just like everyone else.
We’ll see how it plays out. But it looks like ‘Melo is on the recruiting trail for the Knicks.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30