Dec 6, 2013, 12:39 PM EDT
Dwyane Wade is going to be taking a lot of games off this season as the Heat try to rest his knees for the playoffs. It started in the second game of the season and it will continue as he has been out 5 of the Heat’s 19 games (he missed the Bulls game Thursday with an illness).
The Heat (14-5) have a glut of big men and have been looking into trading one for a guard, or to clear a roster spot so they can sign a player later. Center-forward Joel, who has played in just five games this season, is one of the players who may be available.
When Wade rests the Heat lean more heavily on Ray Allen, who started against the Bulls Thursday. But Allen is 38 with a lot of miles on the wheels, they don’t want to tax him a lot either. The Heat amnestied Mike Miller. So Miami is looking around for some depth.
Joel Anthony provides defense. He doesn’t bring you much if any offense, but he knows his role — fly around and block shots. Protect the rim. There are a lot of teams that could use that energy off the bench (he lost his role in Miami to Chris Andersen, who brings the defense with more size and better offense).
Anthony makes $3.8 million this season with a player option for the same amount next season (an option he likely picks up).
Something to watch. There’s not a lot of teams looking to make Miami better, but it is possible a deal will get done.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 26
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 34
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 20
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 17
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 7