Dec 6, 2013, 12:39 PM EDT
Dwyane Wade is going to be taking a lot of games off this season as the Heat try to rest his knees for the playoffs. It started in the second game of the season and it will continue as he has been out 5 of the Heat’s 19 games (he missed the Bulls game Thursday with an illness).
The Heat (14-5) have a glut of big men and have been looking into trading one for a guard, or to clear a roster spot so they can sign a player later. Center-forward Joel, who has played in just five games this season, is one of the players who may be available.
When Wade rests the Heat lean more heavily on Ray Allen, who started against the Bulls Thursday. But Allen is 38 with a lot of miles on the wheels, they don’t want to tax him a lot either. The Heat amnestied Mike Miller. So Miami is looking around for some depth.
Joel Anthony provides defense. He doesn’t bring you much if any offense, but he knows his role — fly around and block shots. Protect the rim. There are a lot of teams that could use that energy off the bench (he lost his role in Miami to Chris Andersen, who brings the defense with more size and better offense).
Anthony makes $3.8 million this season with a player option for the same amount next season (an option he likely picks up).
Something to watch. There’s not a lot of teams looking to make Miami better, but it is possible a deal will get done.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 1
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 45
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 12
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13