Dec 6, 2013, 12:39 PM EDT
Dwyane Wade is going to be taking a lot of games off this season as the Heat try to rest his knees for the playoffs. It started in the second game of the season and it will continue as he has been out 5 of the Heat’s 19 games (he missed the Bulls game Thursday with an illness).
The Heat (14-5) have a glut of big men and have been looking into trading one for a guard, or to clear a roster spot so they can sign a player later. Center-forward Joel, who has played in just five games this season, is one of the players who may be available.
When Wade rests the Heat lean more heavily on Ray Allen, who started against the Bulls Thursday. But Allen is 38 with a lot of miles on the wheels, they don’t want to tax him a lot either. The Heat amnestied Mike Miller. So Miami is looking around for some depth.
Joel Anthony provides defense. He doesn’t bring you much if any offense, but he knows his role — fly around and block shots. Protect the rim. There are a lot of teams that could use that energy off the bench (he lost his role in Miami to Chris Andersen, who brings the defense with more size and better offense).
Anthony makes $3.8 million this season with a player option for the same amount next season (an option he likely picks up).
Something to watch. There’s not a lot of teams looking to make Miami better, but it is possible a deal will get done.
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clipper’s Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 5
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 11
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9