Nate Robinson fined $25,000 for saying officials hate him

Dec 6, 2013, 1:54 PM EST

Denver Nuggets v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

“They hate me, they hate me. I don’t know why, but it is what it is. I already know I’ve got the target on my back, but I’ll play through it; I don’t care. I really don’t. It doesn’t bother me none. If I get a call, I get a call. If I don’t, I don’t. If I get a tech, hopefully it’s not in the fourth quarter. Hopefully I don’t get any more. But I know I will. It’s nothing new for me.”

Denver’s Nate Robinson said that about NBA officials after picking up a technical foul in a game against the Knicks last Friday.

Friday Robinson picked up a $25,000 fine from the league for his comments. Even though those comments pretty much sum up what two-thirds of NBA players think. The NBA league office still understandably frowns on players or coaches undermining the integrity of the officials.

Robinson is going to keep racking up techs — he’s a demonstrative, emotional player and that will lead to referees thinking they are shown up, hence technicals. My guess is now he says less about them when talking to the media afterward.

1. anotheryx - Dec 6, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Now he can say the commish hates him! Perfect!

• fanofevilempire - Dec 6, 2013 at 2:34 PM

not for 25,000.00
      Stern is a Nazi!

• blahblah1000 - Dec 7, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Nazi really grow up.
        Not a Stern fan but thats a bit.much!

2. belleby123 - Dec 6, 2013 at 3:07 PM

He should’ve flopped to the floor when he heard that just to see what happened.

3. rockymtblazer24 - Dec 6, 2013 at 3:45 PM

What happened to freedom of speech? I can see if he was going after someone or something in particular, but all he did was state a general fact he believed to be true. This is all out of hand, before you know it you will legally have to sign your soul to Stern in order to join the Association.

• Kurt Helin - Dec 7, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Freedom of speech? As with you, he is free to say whatever he wants but he is not free of the consequences of what he says.

• muhangis - Dec 9, 2013 at 7:01 AM

Okay Kurt, so if you are putting steep consequences to one’s speech, then is that not defeating the purpose of calling that a freedom? Freedom = the right to do and be free from lawful punishment. Or else you can not call it “freedom”, or a free right.

Just like you can’t have an ordinary man (rightfully speaking) be put in JAIL for his words, then in your words you justify his incarceration as “he is not free of the consequences of what he says”, means essentially that there is no freedom of speech, for such right is being punished by law!

Here, freedom of speech is being violated and trounced upon, without question. [What came out of his mouth was nothing even severe.]

(I could call it hypocrisy, but hey I won’t go that far..)

• Kurt Helin - Dec 10, 2013 at 8:18 PM

You have the freedom, the right to march into your boss’ office and call him/her an F’in idiot. When you do that there are consequences. Robinson and every player in the league knows if you knock the refs you get fined. He did it. He got fined. You can agree or disagree with him. Words should have consequences, but you should have the right to face them if you choose.

4. misremembered72 - Dec 6, 2013 at 4:37 PM

woah that seems pretty steep for what his comments were

5. misremembered72 - Dec 6, 2013 at 4:37 PM

aka ill earn that and a couple pennies from a year of work

6. 00maltliquor - Dec 6, 2013 at 4:44 PM

The fine doesn’t match the offense in the least bit.

7. jammer73 - Dec 6, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Nate “Non-Factor” Robinson.

8. muhangis - Dec 9, 2013 at 7:04 AM

If you are going to punish a man for a particular act, then you are not giving that man the “freedom” to do such.

A fundamental element to an act being a free right.

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches