Dec 6, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Apparently Glen Davis was a big child. Very big.
Big Baby just returned to the lineup for the first time since last January, when he broke a bone in his foot that took two surgeries to repair properly. He’s looked pretty good since coming back — he had 33 points in the game against Philadelphia Tuesday.
He also looks svelte… well, relatively svelte. Davis is a big man in a big body but he told John Denton of the Orlando Magic Website he knew he had to drop weight to stay in the NBA. So he has shed the pounds down to his junior high weight. Seriously.
“Eighth grade. Yeah, really, it’s the lightest I’ve been since the eighth grade,’’ said Davis, seemingly shocked himself. “This time it’s consistent (with the weight loss). There have been times when I’ve lost a lot of weight, but I’d just gain it right back. But as far as consistently staying at this weight and staying down, it’s been since the eighth grade when I was this thin.’’
What does he weigh? Around 300 pounds at 6’9”. So maybe “svelte” wasn’t the work I was looking for.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $20,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday night’s games. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $3,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Still, everything is relative — Davis wasn’t allowed to play Pee Wee football one year because he was too big. What matters is for Davis the weight is off and his game is up – which just increases his value as trade bait, which seems to be where he is headed with rebuilding Orlando. A few more good games and he will start to draw interest.
So long as the weight stays off.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 8
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43