Dec 6, 2013, 11:12 AM EDT
When the Knicks got Andrea Bargnani the sales pitch from the pro-Bargnani side was he could do things Steve Novak couldn’t — play some defense in the post and put the ball on the floor and blow by guys. Whether those skills are really worth $23 million over two years is now a moot question, the trade is done.
Bargnani showed off those skills when he blew by Kevin Garnett for an impressive dunk early in the Knicks win over the Nets win on Thursday night. Check it out above. It was an impressive play. Although, on the flip side of that it’s been hard to watch Garnett get old before our eyes this season. He is not moving in the same way at all.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $20,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday night’s games. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $3,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Bargnani wasn’t done however. First he and Garnett got tangled up in one of those NBA “fights” and both of them got a technical for it.
Then in the fourth quarter after Bargnani hit a shot, he trashed talked KG back down the court, which struck most basketball fans as Karma coming back around but struck referee Joey Crawford as a step over the line so he tossed Bargnani from the game with his famed quick trigger.
That ejection earned a huge cheer for Bargnani from the Knicks faithful that dominated Barclay’s Center Thursday night, they loved the show of toughness. So did the Knicks bench. They need a lot more nights like this out of Bargnani to make it work, especially until Tyson Chandler gets back.
After the game KG said he didn’t understand what Bargnani said because he doesn’t speak Italian, but Bargs said he wasn’t speaking Italian to him. What we have here is a failure to communicate.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 8
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 46
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43