Dec 5, 2013, 2:20 AM EST
Our nightly look around the NBA, or what you missed while figuring out how to use lasers to mark the first down line in the a football game….
LaMarcus Aldridge, Portland Trail Blazers. For my money right now he is the best power forward in the game. I’d rather have him over Kevin Love or Dirk Nowitzki or Carmelo Anthony or even Tim Duncan. Anthony Davis will take the crown in a few years but he’s not there yet. (I’m not counting LeBron James as a four even though that’s the role he plays the most for Miami, different system.) The Portland Trail Blazers are 16-3 after beating the Thunder Thursday night and Aldridge finished with 38 points on 17-of-28 shooting (60.7 percent) plus he had 13 rebounds and zero turnovers. He dropped 28 and 10 the last game on the Pacers defense. He is at his peak right now and lifting these Blazers to a surprising and amazing start.
Paul Millsap, Atlanta Hawks. The Hawks raced out to an early lead and never looked back in this one and Millsap’s 11 first quarter points were key to that start. Millsap finished with 25 points going right at Blake Griffin whenever he could. Millsap has been a great fit for Atlanta this season.
Houston Rockets’ offense. Despite giving up 97 points to the Suns, the Rockets played respectable defense Wednesday night. It was the other end of the floor that was the mess — Houston shot 35.2 percent as a team and 29 percent from three. James Harden was 3-of-17, Dwight Howard 4-of-11, Aaron Brooks 7-of-18 and so on. It wasn’t pretty. Houston has the second best offense in the league so far this season; this was just a one-off night for them.
Kyle Korver, Atlanta Hawks. He knocked down a three 30 seconds into the game to give the Hawks a lead 3-2 that they would never relinquish. More importantly that three set a record — that is his 89th consecutive game making a three, tying the league record. Korver knocked down 6-of-9 from three for a season-high 23 points.
- Report: Timberwolves’ Ricky Rubio set to return Monday vs. Dallas 4
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 8
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 10
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 26
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 8
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 45
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10