Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James

Dec 5, 2013, 11:09 AM EDT

The Dwyane Wade Fantasy Camp Draft Party

Kevin Durant did it in a movie nobody really saw (Thunderstruck). Michael Jordan did it with cartoon characters (Space Jam). Shaquille O’Neal did it… poorly (Kazam).

Now LeBron James is about to be the latest NBA superstar to head to the big screen and star in a movie.

Well, we don’t know how big his role is because Kevin Hart — the comedian from “Think Like a Man” and soon to come out “Ride Along,” who will co-star and write the movie — is still working on the script rewrite. But Deadline Hollywood has the details.

Kevin Hart is signing on to star with LeBron James in Ballers, the basketball comedy for Universal and Imagine Entertainment. Brian Grazer and Michael Rosenberg are producing.

Hart will first co-write the comedy along with his scripting teammates Joey Wells, Chris Spencer and Harry Ratchford. He’ll then star as a man who lives in the shadow of his NBA superstar brother (James), but gets a chance to prove himself when he and some pals attend a weekend fantasy basketball camp in Miami.

Yes, that is a “Twins” like pairing of 5’3” Hart and 6’8” LeBron. Hart is a regular at the NBA All-Star weekend and was MVP of the celebrity game one year. I imagine because of his ferocious dunks.

There is plenty of potential comedy there, we’ll see if Hart can pull it out. Then we’ll see if LeBron can pull it off on the big screen.

If he needs some acting tips, he can always turn to his teammate, the most successful recent baller-turned-actor, Ray Allen (He Got Game).

1. golfrangeman - Dec 5, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I saw LeBron on SNL, great player not a great actor. Let’s just say Payton Manning’s got nothing to worry about.

• vi3tguy415 - Dec 5, 2013 at 12:08 PM

u 4got ahole in there bud

• belleby123 - Dec 5, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Peyton Manning’s not too worried either.

2. 1heatedtoombrayduh - Dec 5, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Please let us never forget the monstrosity Steel, another movie Shaq starred. Epic Fail…Sad I ever watched it..I’d watch it again for comedic reasons now.

• asimonetti88 - Dec 5, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Blue Chips wasn’t bad though

• tcclark - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Dude Judd Nelson was in it. That’s got to count for something

3. cadub49er - Dec 5, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Kevin Hart in “The Nate Robinson Story”.

4. cbking05 - Dec 5, 2013 at 11:48 AM

LeBron’s whole life is an act … He will do fine

• vi3tguy415 - Dec 5, 2013 at 12:09 PM

so many stories out there on how he dissed fans and pretended to be nice when the cameras are on. these Miami fans are blind folded.

5. eagles512 - Dec 5, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I’ve yet to see Kevin Hart be funny. He just talks loud and fast and people laugh.

6. northstarnic - Dec 5, 2013 at 1:25 PM

The early reviews are in: terrible.

7. mrnoshoes - Dec 5, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Blue Chips was freakish awesome

8. chadley71 - Dec 5, 2013 at 2:45 PM

did someone say LeBron because I think I just threw up a lil bit at the sound of his name

9. antistratfordian - Dec 5, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Shooting a film in Miami, trying to start an MLS franchise in Miami, wife just opened a juice bar in Miami – I don’t think LeBron is going anywhere this summer.

• asimonetti88 - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Clock is ticking, they need to have the proposal by Jan 1, still have no viable stadium options.

10. madnova - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Maybe it’s me, but I would consider Rick Fox to be more of a successful actor than Ray Allen.

And I can’t believe he left out Gheorge Muresan in My Giant.

• asimonetti88 - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar in Airplane was good too. And Wilt Chamberlain basically playing himself in Conan the Destroyer

11. katra2logic - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:07 PM

One of Santa’s elves is making a movie, I thought he would be busy at this time of year… Cheers :-)

12. ravenswhat - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:24 PM

At a movie the other day they played about 10 trailers. I swear on my life Hart was in at least 4 of them. Dude be working!!

13. belleby123 - Dec 5, 2013 at 11:06 PM

A movie about a Heat player? Need I say it will be a “flop”?

14. hpeters77 - Dec 6, 2013 at 3:13 AM

Ray Allen did well in he got game

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches