Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to”

Dec 5, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

“I’m not done.”

That quote sums up what Derrick Rose said in about 25 different ways during his first press conference since tearing his meniscus, an injury that required surgery and is expected to sideline him for the season. The press conference was streamed on CSNChicago.com.

Rose was asked what he would say to those that doubt his return to his former form.

“You can be a fool if you want to (laughter in room),” Rose said. “I’m serious. I’ll be alright.”

He wouldn’t even rule out returning for this year’s playoffs if the Bulls make it, leaving that door just cracked a little.

“I mean if I’m healthy and the situation is right and my meniscus is fully healed — I’m playing,” Rose said.

There is next to zero chance of that happening, but Rose doesn’t really think about the public relations implications of his statements. That’s not how he is wired. Rose simply sounded like he always does — a guy who just wants to play. He admitted there were some “why me?” moments after this second injury (which happened on a simple cut to run back up the court) but he got past that pretty quickly.

He’s not changing who he is or his style of game.

“That’s the way that I play,” Rose said. “I play a unique way of playing basketball and I can’t change that…

“I could tear or hurt myself 10 more times. I’m never going to stop.”

When Rose does return to the Bulls next season this team could look quite different — Luol Deng will be a free agent, there are rumors the Bulls could amnesty Carlos Boozer and go harder into the free agent market with the space.

But don’t expect Rose to be the “rah-rah” recruiting type for the Bulls — if you love to play then you should want to play with him remains Rose’s philosophy.

“I think I can play with anyone, but I’ll never recruit (free agents),” he said.

Rose also said multiple times that this injury was just a fluke.

“With the first one, the ACL, okay I wasn’t taking care of my body like I was supposed to, so of course I could blame that on not taking care of my body,” Rose said. “But this one… come one man, I was having a good game. I was getting my rhythm the last two games I played in. I was getting in the rhythm of how I used to play. I was getting in condition more than anything for this season.

“Then for this one to happen, with me just turning to run back up the court, there is nothing to say about it, nothing to do about it, just be strong and I’ll be back.”

Rose said his story is far from done.

He just hopes that the chapters about knee injuries are behind him.

Latest Posts
  1. Hornets’ Jeff Taylor says he’s recovered from ruptured Achilles

Sep 21, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Charlotte Bobcats Dallas Mavericks v Charlotte Bobcats

He’s going to fight for minutes at a crowded wing spot in Charlotte.

2. Andrew Wiggins says he doesn’t feel much pressure heading to Minnesota

Sep 21, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

Timberwolves New Players Getty Images

Nobody expects much from the Timberwolves or Wiggins this season, outside of a few highlight dunks.

3. Report: Zoran Dragic “in advanced discussions” to leave Europe for Suns next season

Sep 21, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

BASKET-EURO-2013-SRB-SVN Getty Images

A team is going to have to pay him at least $2 million a year to make it worth his while.

4. Jeanie Buss ‘not worried’ about Kobe coming back and contributing for Lakers

Sep 21, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Boston Celtics v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Lakers president believes Bryant is ready after he missed all but six games last season due to injury.

5. Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio

Sep 20, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

Ricky Rubio AP

Rubio may not like it, but Minnesota can retain his rights in restricted free agency next summer.

6. Report: Gustavo Ayon’s deal with Real Madrid worth $6.6 million over three years

Sep 20, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT

Australia v Mexico - 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Getty Images

Big man from Mexico preferred to remain in the NBA, but took the payday to return overseas.

7. Kobe Bryant may join ownership group attempting to purchase Italian soccer team

Sep 20, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT

Kobe Bryant Kobe Bryant

With two years left in the NBA, Bryant has an eye on life after basketball.

8. Taj Gibson says he’s fine coming off the bench for Bulls: ‘Please miss me with the drama’

Sep 20, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT

Taj Gibson Taj Gibson

A previous report said Gibson was less than thrilled with remaining a reserve.

9. Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season

Sep 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

Blatche can play, but the NBA offers simply weren’t there.

10. Giant LeBron James banner approved to hang in downtown Cleveland once again

Sep 20, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

lebron-banner

10-story-high banner will return after a similar one was taken down when James left in 2010.

11. Report: Ramon Sessions signs 2-year deal with Kings

Sep 20, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT

Ramon Sessions AP

Sessions could start at point guard for Sacramento.

12. Report: Former NBA player Rex Chapman arrested for stealing product from Apple store

Sep 19, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT

Rex Chapman, Ashley Judd Rex Chapman, Ashley Judd

Chapman played four years for the Suns, and is facing charges in Scottsdale, AZ.

13. Andrew Bogut is feeling healthy, takes charges on D at Warriors scrimmage

Sep 19, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT

Andrew Bogut AP

Must-read quote from Bogut on how he does NOT want to be perceived.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches