Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to”

Dec 5, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

“I’m not done.”

That quote sums up what Derrick Rose said in about 25 different ways during his first press conference since tearing his meniscus, an injury that required surgery and is expected to sideline him for the season. The press conference was streamed on CSNChicago.com.

Rose was asked what he would say to those that doubt his return to his former form.

“You can be a fool if you want to (laughter in room),” Rose said. “I’m serious. I’ll be alright.”

He wouldn’t even rule out returning for this year’s playoffs if the Bulls make it, leaving that door just cracked a little.

“I mean if I’m healthy and the situation is right and my meniscus is fully healed — I’m playing,” Rose said.

There is next to zero chance of that happening, but Rose doesn’t really think about the public relations implications of his statements. That’s not how he is wired. Rose simply sounded like he always does — a guy who just wants to play. He admitted there were some “why me?” moments after this second injury (which happened on a simple cut to run back up the court) but he got past that pretty quickly.

He’s not changing who he is or his style of game.

“That’s the way that I play,” Rose said. “I play a unique way of playing basketball and I can’t change that…

“I could tear or hurt myself 10 more times. I’m never going to stop.”

When Rose does return to the Bulls next season this team could look quite different — Luol Deng will be a free agent, there are rumors the Bulls could amnesty Carlos Boozer and go harder into the free agent market with the space.

But don’t expect Rose to be the “rah-rah” recruiting type for the Bulls — if you love to play then you should want to play with him remains Rose’s philosophy.

“I think I can play with anyone, but I’ll never recruit (free agents),” he said.

Rose also said multiple times that this injury was just a fluke.

“With the first one, the ACL, okay I wasn’t taking care of my body like I was supposed to, so of course I could blame that on not taking care of my body,” Rose said. “But this one… come one man, I was having a good game. I was getting my rhythm the last two games I played in. I was getting in the rhythm of how I used to play. I was getting in condition more than anything for this season.

“Then for this one to happen, with me just turning to run back up the court, there is nothing to say about it, nothing to do about it, just be strong and I’ll be back.”

Rose said his story is far from done.

He just hopes that the chapters about knee injuries are behind him.

Latest Posts
  1. Remembering Darryl Dawkins’ 20 greatest dunks (VIDEO)

Aug 27, 2015, 5:51 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwqxntu4mwq2otc2otkyntezmgm0njfmyjexywywmtdk AP

If you’re keeping score at home, there are two shattered backboards on the list.

2. Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58

Aug 27, 2015, 4:25 PM EDT

NBA House - Moynihan Station 2015 Getty Images

Chocolate Thunder remained an ambassador of the game.

3. Report: Ryan Hollins receiving interest from Kings, Wizards, Clippers

Aug 27, 2015, 3:31 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Sacramento Kings Getty Images

He probably will land on a roster somewhere. Eventually.

4. Pelicans pull French center Alexis Ajinca out of EuroBasket

Aug 27, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Minnesota Timberwolves Getty Images

This is a blow to France, but they remain one of the deepest teams at EuroBasket and one of the favorites.

5. Despite earlier report, Chuck Hayes will not sign with Rockets

Aug 27, 2015, 1:54 PM EDT

Toronto Raptors v New York Knicks Getty Images

Houston’s salary cap picture changed before the deal got inked.

6. Pistons’ Brandon Jennings says when healthy he’s fine with being sixth man

Aug 27, 2015, 11:54 AM EDT

Orlando Magic v Detroit Pistons Getty Images

Stan Van Gundy wants to play Brandon Jennings and Stephen Jackson together at times.

7. Report: Clippers, Glen Davis still talking about potential deal

Aug 27, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Houston Rockets - Game Two Getty Images

At this point in his career Davis is the “break glass in case of emergency” big.

8. LeBron James sells Miami home for cool $13.4 million

Aug 27, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

LeBron James AP

LeBron turned a $4.4 million profit.

9. Report: Derrick Rose being sued by ex-girlfriend alleging rape, drugging

Aug 27, 2015, 12:58 AM EDT

Chicago Bulls V Cleveland Cavaliers - Game Four Getty Images

There is no criminal report filed in this case. Rose nor his attorney have yet to comment on the report or suit.

10. Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era

Aug 26, 2015, 11:25 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers' center Shaquille O'Neal (L) la Getty Images

Was there ever a more Shakespearean NBA drama than Shaq/Kobe?

11. PBT’s Fast Break news & notes: First black player in NBA deserves a stamp

Aug 26, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT

Miami Heat v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

We’ve got video of Blake Griffin pretending to be in the Harlem Globetrotters.

12. D’Angelo Russell hasn’t called Kobe Bryant yet, doesn’t want to bug him

Aug 26, 2015, 6:59 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptgwnwzjyzbmmtg1ymfjnwm4odu0m2u4mwixyjhmnzzh AP

D’Angelo, just text Kobe and say you want to work out with him, he’ll likely text back to come over right now.

13. Amar’e Stoudemire feels he can return to All-Star form

Aug 26, 2015, 5:55 PM EDT

Tim Coppens - Front Row - New York Fashion Week: Men's S/S 2016 Getty Images

The questions about Miami’s front line are not about skill but health.

14. Dirk Nowitzki finding early groove playing for Germany

Aug 26, 2015, 2:49 PM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Houston Rockets- Game Five Getty Images

You know Mark Cuban doesn’t love this.

Top 10 NBA Player Searches