Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to”

Dec 5, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

“I’m not done.”

That quote sums up what Derrick Rose said in about 25 different ways during his first press conference since tearing his meniscus, an injury that required surgery and is expected to sideline him for the season. The press conference was streamed on CSNChicago.com.

Rose was asked what he would say to those that doubt his return to his former form.

“You can be a fool if you want to (laughter in room),” Rose said. “I’m serious. I’ll be alright.”

He wouldn’t even rule out returning for this year’s playoffs if the Bulls make it, leaving that door just cracked a little.

“I mean if I’m healthy and the situation is right and my meniscus is fully healed — I’m playing,” Rose said.

There is next to zero chance of that happening, but Rose doesn’t really think about the public relations implications of his statements. That’s not how he is wired. Rose simply sounded like he always does — a guy who just wants to play. He admitted there were some “why me?” moments after this second injury (which happened on a simple cut to run back up the court) but he got past that pretty quickly.

He’s not changing who he is or his style of game.

“That’s the way that I play,” Rose said. “I play a unique way of playing basketball and I can’t change that…

“I could tear or hurt myself 10 more times. I’m never going to stop.”

When Rose does return to the Bulls next season this team could look quite different — Luol Deng will be a free agent, there are rumors the Bulls could amnesty Carlos Boozer and go harder into the free agent market with the space.

But don’t expect Rose to be the “rah-rah” recruiting type for the Bulls — if you love to play then you should want to play with him remains Rose’s philosophy.

“I think I can play with anyone, but I’ll never recruit (free agents),” he said.

Rose also said multiple times that this injury was just a fluke.

“With the first one, the ACL, okay I wasn’t taking care of my body like I was supposed to, so of course I could blame that on not taking care of my body,” Rose said. “But this one… come one man, I was having a good game. I was getting my rhythm the last two games I played in. I was getting in the rhythm of how I used to play. I was getting in condition more than anything for this season.

“Then for this one to happen, with me just turning to run back up the court, there is nothing to say about it, nothing to do about it, just be strong and I’ll be back.”

Rose said his story is far from done.

He just hopes that the chapters about knee injuries are behind him.

Latest Posts
  1. Jason Kidd makes aggressive timeout call late in Bucks’ win over Bulls (VIDEO)

Apr 28, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT

Milwaukee Bucks v Chicago Bulls - Game Five Getty Images

Kidd jumped up and down to make sure to get the timeout he wanted.

2. PBT Extra: Rockets must adjust to new Mavericks starting lineup in Game 5

Apr 28, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Dirk Nowitzki, J.J. Barea Dirk Nowitzki, J.J. Barea

Houston needs to make adjustments to the new Dallas starting lineup.

3. Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series

Apr 28, 2015, 2:13 AM EDT

Memphis Grizzlies v Portland Trail Blazers - Game Four Getty Images

Without Mike Conley to check him Damian Lillard ran free.

4. PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time

Apr 27, 2015, 9:01 PM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Washington Wizards - Game Four Toronto Raptors v Washington Wizards - Game Four

Washington’s averaged defender distance to the Toronto shooter was 3.55 feet, the closest defense any team played in the first round of the playoffs.

5. Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery

Apr 27, 2015, 7:58 PM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Houston Rockets- Game One Getty Images

The doctor will decide if microfracture is needed while doing a scope.

6. Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head

Apr 27, 2015, 7:17 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers Vs. Boston Celtics At TD Garden Getty Images

The Cavs will be without two starters for the first two games of next round.

7. PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check

Apr 27, 2015, 6:59 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v New Orleans Pelicans - Game Four Getty Images

Davis was +35 when playing while Green sat, -55 while Green was on the court at the same time.

8. Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls)

Apr 27, 2015, 6:22 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Boston Celtics - Game Four Getty Images

He would have been key against the Bulls to help space the floor.

9. Quote of the Day: Kelly Olynyk on Cavaliers fans

Apr 27, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwzjymvhyzgwzgy5njixztvmzwrlzgzmymqxyza3ytg52 AP

Olynyk finds common ground with Clevelanders

10. PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense

Apr 27, 2015, 4:59 PM EDT

LeBron James, Gerald Wallace LeBron James, Gerald Wallace

Stats show Boston defended LeBron well, he just hit the shots anyway.

11. PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended?

Apr 27, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers Vs. Boston Celtics At TD Garden Getty Images

I say Smith should get at least three games.

12. Grizzlies’ Mike Conley has surgery to repair face, likely 48 hours before timetable

Apr 27, 2015, 3:44 PM EDT

Mike Conley Mike Conley

They need the swelling to go down to get a sense of his return,

13. Report: Kevin Love seeks more medical opinions, may delay announcing timetable

Apr 27, 2015, 2:29 PM EDT

Cavaliers gave him a chance to wait by sweeping Celtics

Boston defended LeBron well, it didn't matter
Top 10 NBA Player Searches