Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to”

Dec 5, 2013, 1:22 PM EST

Chicago Bulls v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

“I’m not done.”

That quote sums up what Derrick Rose said in about 25 different ways during his first press conference since tearing his meniscus, an injury that required surgery and is expected to sideline him for the season. The press conference was streamed on CSNChicago.com.

Rose was asked what he would say to those that doubt his return to his former form.

“You can be a fool if you want to (laughter in room),” Rose said. “I’m serious. I’ll be alright.”

He wouldn’t even rule out returning for this year’s playoffs if the Bulls make it, leaving that door just cracked a little.

“I mean if I’m healthy and the situation is right and my meniscus is fully healed — I’m playing,” Rose said.

There is next to zero chance of that happening, but Rose doesn’t really think about the public relations implications of his statements. That’s not how he is wired. Rose simply sounded like he always does — a guy who just wants to play. He admitted there were some “why me?” moments after this second injury (which happened on a simple cut to run back up the court) but he got past that pretty quickly.

He’s not changing who he is or his style of game.

“That’s the way that I play,” Rose said. “I play a unique way of playing basketball and I can’t change that…

“I could tear or hurt myself 10 more times. I’m never going to stop.”

When Rose does return to the Bulls next season this team could look quite different — Luol Deng will be a free agent, there are rumors the Bulls could amnesty Carlos Boozer and go harder into the free agent market with the space.

But don’t expect Rose to be the “rah-rah” recruiting type for the Bulls — if you love to play then you should want to play with him remains Rose’s philosophy.

“I think I can play with anyone, but I’ll never recruit (free agents),” he said.

Rose also said multiple times that this injury was just a fluke.

“With the first one, the ACL, okay I wasn’t taking care of my body like I was supposed to, so of course I could blame that on not taking care of my body,” Rose said. “But this one… come one man, I was having a good game. I was getting my rhythm the last two games I played in. I was getting in the rhythm of how I used to play. I was getting in condition more than anything for this season.

“Then for this one to happen, with me just turning to run back up the court, there is nothing to say about it, nothing to do about it, just be strong and I’ll be back.”

Rose said his story is far from done.

He just hopes that the chapters about knee injuries are behind him.

Latest Posts
  1. Cody Zeller dunks on Kenneth Faried, falls over while admiring slam (video)

Dec 22, 2014, 10:25 PM EST

Kenneth Faried, Cody Zeller Kenneth Faried, Cody Zeller

It WAS a nice dunk… at least until that camera man got in the way

2. LeBron James Jr. is pretty good at basketball (video)

Dec 22, 2014, 9:35 PM EST

Detroit Pistons v Cleveland Cavaliers, Game 6 Getty Images

LeBron’s son has pretty impressive highlight mix

3. Russell Westbrook doesn’t want to talk about passing, willing to shoot fewer 3-pointers

Dec 22, 2014, 7:54 PM EST

New Orleans Pelicans v Oklahoma City Thunder Getty Images

Thunder point guard both dismissive and introspective after loss to Pelicans

4. Flip Saunders says Minnesota fans will not forgive Kevin Love for leaving them

Dec 22, 2014, 6:59 PM EST

Kevin Love, Alan Anderson, Mason Plumlee Kevin Love, Alan Anderson, Mason Plumlee

Love will be booed more vehemently on Tuesday than LeBron will on Thursday.

5. Brook Lopez wants to play a Wookie in next Star Wars film

Dec 22, 2014, 6:17 PM EST

2014 Brooklyn Nets Media Day Getty Images

Well, it would be better than more Jar Jar Binks.

6. PBT Extra: Where might Josh Smith end up after Pistons’ bold stroke?

Dec 22, 2014, 4:35 PM EST

Josh Smith AP

The Rockets are the frontrunners to land him.

7. Report: Jameer Nelson and Celtics discuss future, no buyout discussions yet

Dec 22, 2014, 3:05 PM EST

Jameer Nelson, Mario Chalmers AP

Boston might try to re-trade point guard acquired in Rajon Rondo deal

8. Knicks Samuel Dalembert fined $15,000 for elbowing Jonas Valanciunas in face (VIDEO)

Dec 22, 2014, 1:01 PM EST

Phoenix Suns v New York Knicks Getty Images

Maybe Dalembert wanted to get ejected so he didn’t have to watch any more of the Raptors easy win over the Knicks.

9. Pistons release Josh Smith. WHAT?

Dec 22, 2014, 12:21 PM EST

Brooklyn Nets v Detroit Pistons Getty Images

Pistons use stretch provision on forward owed more than $35 million

10. Victor Oladipo, focused on effort and defense, still finds time to raise offense

Dec 22, 2014, 10:29 AM EST

Toronto Raptors beat the Orlando Magic 95-82 Getty Images

Magic guard avoiding sophomore slump of other top 2013-14 rookies

11. 76ers were third team in Corey Brewer trade, send Alexey Shved to Rockets

Dec 22, 2014, 9:39 AM EST

Atlanta Hawks v Houston Rockets Getty Images

Philadelphia will waive Turiaf, who’s injured and out for season

12. Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them.

Dec 22, 2014, 9:00 AM EST

Los Angeles Lakers v Sacramento Kings Getty Images

Byron Scott can tell Kobe to rest, but it will be Kobe’s decision. Kobe has the power in that relationship.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches