Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to”

Dec 5, 2013, 1:22 PM EST

Chicago Bulls v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

“I’m not done.”

That quote sums up what Derrick Rose said in about 25 different ways during his first press conference since tearing his meniscus, an injury that required surgery and is expected to sideline him for the season. The press conference was streamed on CSNChicago.com.

Rose was asked what he would say to those that doubt his return to his former form.

“You can be a fool if you want to (laughter in room),” Rose said. “I’m serious. I’ll be alright.”

He wouldn’t even rule out returning for this year’s playoffs if the Bulls make it, leaving that door just cracked a little.

“I mean if I’m healthy and the situation is right and my meniscus is fully healed — I’m playing,” Rose said.

There is next to zero chance of that happening, but Rose doesn’t really think about the public relations implications of his statements. That’s not how he is wired. Rose simply sounded like he always does — a guy who just wants to play. He admitted there were some “why me?” moments after this second injury (which happened on a simple cut to run back up the court) but he got past that pretty quickly.

He’s not changing who he is or his style of game.

“That’s the way that I play,” Rose said. “I play a unique way of playing basketball and I can’t change that…

“I could tear or hurt myself 10 more times. I’m never going to stop.”

When Rose does return to the Bulls next season this team could look quite different — Luol Deng will be a free agent, there are rumors the Bulls could amnesty Carlos Boozer and go harder into the free agent market with the space.

But don’t expect Rose to be the “rah-rah” recruiting type for the Bulls — if you love to play then you should want to play with him remains Rose’s philosophy.

“I think I can play with anyone, but I’ll never recruit (free agents),” he said.

Rose also said multiple times that this injury was just a fluke.

“With the first one, the ACL, okay I wasn’t taking care of my body like I was supposed to, so of course I could blame that on not taking care of my body,” Rose said. “But this one… come one man, I was having a good game. I was getting my rhythm the last two games I played in. I was getting in the rhythm of how I used to play. I was getting in condition more than anything for this season.

“Then for this one to happen, with me just turning to run back up the court, there is nothing to say about it, nothing to do about it, just be strong and I’ll be back.”

Rose said his story is far from done.

He just hopes that the chapters about knee injuries are behind him.

Latest Posts
  1. Paul Pierce hits 2,000th three pointer of career (VIDEO)

Jan 25, 2015, 9:30 AM EST

Washington Wizards v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

He’s just 23 behind Jason Terry for third most on the All-Time list.

2. LaMarcus Aldridge looks good with 26 points, 9 rebounds playing with bad thumb

Jan 25, 2015, 8:00 AM EST

LaMarcus Aldridge, Nene AP

He hd 26 points and 9 boards. That brace worked out pretty well.

3. Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles

Jan 25, 2015, 1:01 AM EST

Brandon Jennings Brandon Jennings

Can we just get through the rest of this season without any more major NBA injuries, please?

4. Report: Celtics may keep Tayshaun Prince if he’s not traded by the deadline

Jan 24, 2015, 11:00 PM EST

Boston Celtics v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

Brad Stevens reportedly likes Prince, so a buyout may not be in the cards.

5. Derek Fisher didn’t realize motivating his players would be such a big part of being an NBA head coach

Jan 24, 2015, 9:30 PM EST

Derek Fisher AP

Fisher played 18 years, and claims that his motivation always came from within.

6. After being fined for obscene gesture, Dwyane Wade asks NBA to improve on ways it protects players from fans

Jan 24, 2015, 8:00 PM EST

Dwyane Wade AP

Wade was fined for flipping off some fans who he believed crossed the line.

7. Dwight Howard leaves arena in walking boot after suffering ankle injury against Suns

Jan 24, 2015, 5:00 PM EST

Dwight Howard AP

Howard left the game after just eight minutes and did not return.

8. LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards

Jan 24, 2015, 3:17 PM EST

Sacramento Kings v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

Aldridge has a tear in his left thumb, and was originally set to be sidelined 6-8 weeks.

9. Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction

Jan 24, 2015, 11:00 AM EST

Cleveland Cavaliers v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Before recent trades, players believed the team would go no further than the second round of the playoffs.

10. James Harden hits step-back game winner to beat Suns (VIDEO)

Jan 24, 2015, 8:00 AM EST

James Harden, Isaiah Thomas AP

That is as good a step-back jumper as you will see.

11. Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge

Jan 24, 2015, 2:00 AM EST

Los Angeles Lakers v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

There are $25 million Kobe will be back next season.

12. If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again

Jan 24, 2015, 12:16 AM EST

Los Angeles Lakers v New Orleans Pelicans Getty Images

Lakers star could also above and beyond and chase Michael Jordan’s comeback

13. Kevin Durant: ‘I don’t need the All-Star vote to validate me as a player’

Jan 23, 2015, 10:15 PM EST

Kevin Durant AP

It’s a good thing, because he received fewer votes than Marcin Gortat.

14. Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle: ‘Monta Ellis deserves to be an All-Star’

Jan 23, 2015, 9:15 PM EST

Brooklyn Nets v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

Maybe, but the field is simply too crowded in the West for Ellis to have a reasonable shot.

Stephen Curry leads NBA MVP race mid-season