Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to”

Dec 5, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

“I’m not done.”

That quote sums up what Derrick Rose said in about 25 different ways during his first press conference since tearing his meniscus, an injury that required surgery and is expected to sideline him for the season. The press conference was streamed on CSNChicago.com.

Rose was asked what he would say to those that doubt his return to his former form.

“You can be a fool if you want to (laughter in room),” Rose said. “I’m serious. I’ll be alright.”

He wouldn’t even rule out returning for this year’s playoffs if the Bulls make it, leaving that door just cracked a little.

“I mean if I’m healthy and the situation is right and my meniscus is fully healed — I’m playing,” Rose said.

There is next to zero chance of that happening, but Rose doesn’t really think about the public relations implications of his statements. That’s not how he is wired. Rose simply sounded like he always does — a guy who just wants to play. He admitted there were some “why me?” moments after this second injury (which happened on a simple cut to run back up the court) but he got past that pretty quickly.

He’s not changing who he is or his style of game.

“That’s the way that I play,” Rose said. “I play a unique way of playing basketball and I can’t change that…

“I could tear or hurt myself 10 more times. I’m never going to stop.”

When Rose does return to the Bulls next season this team could look quite different — Luol Deng will be a free agent, there are rumors the Bulls could amnesty Carlos Boozer and go harder into the free agent market with the space.

But don’t expect Rose to be the “rah-rah” recruiting type for the Bulls — if you love to play then you should want to play with him remains Rose’s philosophy.

“I think I can play with anyone, but I’ll never recruit (free agents),” he said.

Rose also said multiple times that this injury was just a fluke.

“With the first one, the ACL, okay I wasn’t taking care of my body like I was supposed to, so of course I could blame that on not taking care of my body,” Rose said. “But this one… come one man, I was having a good game. I was getting my rhythm the last two games I played in. I was getting in the rhythm of how I used to play. I was getting in condition more than anything for this season.

“Then for this one to happen, with me just turning to run back up the court, there is nothing to say about it, nothing to do about it, just be strong and I’ll be back.”

Rose said his story is far from done.

He just hopes that the chapters about knee injuries are behind him.

Latest Posts
  1. Klay Thompson showing “concussion-like symptoms” following knee to head

May 28, 2015, 2:55 AM EDT

Klay Thompson Klay Thompson

This is where the week off until the Finals tip off benefits the Warriors.

2. Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that?

May 28, 2015, 1:49 AM EDT

Golden State Warriors v Houston Rockets - Game Four Getty Images

Houston won 56 games, secured No. 2 seed in powerful Western Conference and won more playoff series than its previous 17 years combined

3. Jared Dudley calls Carmelo Anthony the NBA’s most overrated player

May 27, 2015, 8:59 PM EDT

BASKET-GBR-USA-NBA-MILWAUKEE-NY Getty Images

First Kobe, now Melo – Dudley goes scorched earth

4. PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals

May 27, 2015, 8:12 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers V Atlanta Hawks - Game Four Cleveland Cavaliers V Atlanta Hawks - Game Four

The Cavaliers are allowing 98.5 points per 100 possession in the playoffs, the best of the four teams to reach the conference Finals

5. Report: Pelicans interview Jeff Van Gundy

May 27, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT

Seattle Seahawks v Houston Texans Getty Images

Will he become Anthony Davis’ next head coach?

6. Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau

May 27, 2015, 5:35 PM EDT

Cleveland at Chicago, Game 6 Cleveland at Chicago, Game 6

If they want him gone, they just have to pull the trigger on the firing. Otherwise, bring him back.

7. PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating

May 27, 2015, 4:47 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks Media Day Getty Images

The Hawks had an exciting season, they filled an arena that in past years felt like a mausoleum, they played beautiful basketball for months at a time.

8. Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe”

May 27, 2015, 3:23 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

Free agents will still come to the Lakers, but their pool may be smaller than some other teams because of Kobe.

9. LeBron James: ‘I couldn’t foresee us being in The Finals at the beginning of the season’

May 27, 2015, 1:10 PM EDT

LeBron James AP

Plenty has changed since LeBron re-joined the Cavaliers last summer.

Despite ending, Hawks had season to remember
Top 10 NBA Player Searches