Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to”

Dec 5, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

“I’m not done.”

That quote sums up what Derrick Rose said in about 25 different ways during his first press conference since tearing his meniscus, an injury that required surgery and is expected to sideline him for the season. The press conference was streamed on CSNChicago.com.

Rose was asked what he would say to those that doubt his return to his former form.

“You can be a fool if you want to (laughter in room),” Rose said. “I’m serious. I’ll be alright.”

He wouldn’t even rule out returning for this year’s playoffs if the Bulls make it, leaving that door just cracked a little.

“I mean if I’m healthy and the situation is right and my meniscus is fully healed — I’m playing,” Rose said.

There is next to zero chance of that happening, but Rose doesn’t really think about the public relations implications of his statements. That’s not how he is wired. Rose simply sounded like he always does — a guy who just wants to play. He admitted there were some “why me?” moments after this second injury (which happened on a simple cut to run back up the court) but he got past that pretty quickly.

He’s not changing who he is or his style of game.

“That’s the way that I play,” Rose said. “I play a unique way of playing basketball and I can’t change that…

“I could tear or hurt myself 10 more times. I’m never going to stop.”

When Rose does return to the Bulls next season this team could look quite different — Luol Deng will be a free agent, there are rumors the Bulls could amnesty Carlos Boozer and go harder into the free agent market with the space.

But don’t expect Rose to be the “rah-rah” recruiting type for the Bulls — if you love to play then you should want to play with him remains Rose’s philosophy.

“I think I can play with anyone, but I’ll never recruit (free agents),” he said.

Rose also said multiple times that this injury was just a fluke.

“With the first one, the ACL, okay I wasn’t taking care of my body like I was supposed to, so of course I could blame that on not taking care of my body,” Rose said. “But this one… come one man, I was having a good game. I was getting my rhythm the last two games I played in. I was getting in the rhythm of how I used to play. I was getting in condition more than anything for this season.

“Then for this one to happen, with me just turning to run back up the court, there is nothing to say about it, nothing to do about it, just be strong and I’ll be back.”

Rose said his story is far from done.

He just hopes that the chapters about knee injuries are behind him.

Latest Posts
  1. Chris Bosh makes it official, signs five-year, $118 million deal with Miami

Jul 30, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT

San Antonio Spurs v Miami Heat - Game 6 Getty Images

“His unique skill set makes him one of the best players in the game today.” —Pat Riley on Chris Bosh, who still is overpaid.

2. Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly

Jul 30, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT

Pat Riley Pat Riley

Pat Riley got beat in free agency, and he doesn’t take losing well.

3. Magic Johnson: Jerry Buss wanted Byron Scott to coach the Lakers

Jul 30, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers Introduce Byron Scott Getty Images

Scott, not Mike Brown, would have followed Phil Jackson

4. Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back”

Jul 30, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT

“He’s playing out of his mind. He’s being Derrick Rose.” —Anthony Davis on Rose.

5. Report: Longtime referee Dick Bavetta retiring

Jul 30, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT

Dick Bavetta Dick Bavetta

NBA reportedly wanted Bavetta to retire four years ago

6. Report: Lakers work out Michael Beasley

Jul 30, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT

Milwaukee Bucks v Miami Heat Getty Images

The elicits a shrug of the shoulders. Not much else.

7. Kevin Durant anoints Anthony Davis MVP-in-waiting

Jul 30, 2014, 4:29 PM EDT

Anthony Davis, Kevin Durant Anthony Davis, Kevin Durant

Thunder star texted Davis after winning the award last season: ‘You on your way to get it’

8. Notes from Team USA Camp in Las Vegas: Nobody is a fan of the FIBA balls

Jul 30, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT

Kevin Durant, Chandler Parsons AP

“Guys that don’t have a reputation for playing hard defense are picking up full court.” —Damian Lillard on the level of play at Team USA training camp.

9. Mavericks may consider signing Rashard Lewis after his knee surgery

Jul 30, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT

Rashard Lewis Rashard Lewis

Dallas originally signed Lewis, but voided his contract once it was discovered he would require knee surgery.

10. Knicks legend Earl Monroe sees New York finishing top four in the East ‘easily’

Jul 30, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT

Earl Monroe Earl Monroe

Cleveland, Chicago, Indiana, Miami, Toronto and Washington all simply shake their heads.

11. Report: Metta World Peace nearing deal to play in China next season

Jul 30, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT

New York Knicks vs Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

World Peace hasn’t drawn legitimate interest from NBA teams, so he’s considering playing overseas.

12. Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks

Jul 30, 2014, 11:14 AM EDT

Anthony Bennett Anthony Bennett

Just like Love, Bennett is not going to be playing in any games this summer until a deal is done.

13. Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system

Jul 30, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT

Sam Hinkie, Nerlens Noel AP

Sixers put a multi-year plan together based on current rules, which would be adversely affected with a quick change to the system.

14. Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench?

Jul 30, 2014, 8:40 AM EDT

Mike Krzyzewski Mike Krzyzewski

“Everyone talks about match-ups (with big teams such as Spain), people have to match-up against us, too.” — USA Basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski

15. Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat

Jul 30, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

LeBron still not as popular as prior to The Decision, though. It’s only a matter of time until he is.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches