Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to”

Dec 5, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

“I’m not done.”

That quote sums up what Derrick Rose said in about 25 different ways during his first press conference since tearing his meniscus, an injury that required surgery and is expected to sideline him for the season. The press conference was streamed on CSNChicago.com.

Rose was asked what he would say to those that doubt his return to his former form.

“You can be a fool if you want to (laughter in room),” Rose said. “I’m serious. I’ll be alright.”

He wouldn’t even rule out returning for this year’s playoffs if the Bulls make it, leaving that door just cracked a little.

“I mean if I’m healthy and the situation is right and my meniscus is fully healed — I’m playing,” Rose said.

There is next to zero chance of that happening, but Rose doesn’t really think about the public relations implications of his statements. That’s not how he is wired. Rose simply sounded like he always does — a guy who just wants to play. He admitted there were some “why me?” moments after this second injury (which happened on a simple cut to run back up the court) but he got past that pretty quickly.

He’s not changing who he is or his style of game.

“That’s the way that I play,” Rose said. “I play a unique way of playing basketball and I can’t change that…

“I could tear or hurt myself 10 more times. I’m never going to stop.”

When Rose does return to the Bulls next season this team could look quite different — Luol Deng will be a free agent, there are rumors the Bulls could amnesty Carlos Boozer and go harder into the free agent market with the space.

But don’t expect Rose to be the “rah-rah” recruiting type for the Bulls — if you love to play then you should want to play with him remains Rose’s philosophy.

“I think I can play with anyone, but I’ll never recruit (free agents),” he said.

Rose also said multiple times that this injury was just a fluke.

“With the first one, the ACL, okay I wasn’t taking care of my body like I was supposed to, so of course I could blame that on not taking care of my body,” Rose said. “But this one… come one man, I was having a good game. I was getting my rhythm the last two games I played in. I was getting in the rhythm of how I used to play. I was getting in condition more than anything for this season.

“Then for this one to happen, with me just turning to run back up the court, there is nothing to say about it, nothing to do about it, just be strong and I’ll be back.”

Rose said his story is far from done.

He just hopes that the chapters about knee injuries are behind him.

Latest Posts
  1. Kenyon Martin announces retirement from professional basketball

Jul 2, 2015, 11:31 PM EDT

Milwaukee Bucks v Orlando Magic Getty Images

Martin had hoped to return full-time last season, but the opportunity never materialized.

2. Report: Kings offer Wes Matthews three-year deal in $64 million range

Jul 2, 2015, 10:34 PM EDT

New York Knicks v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

Sacramento needs to overpay much more than that to lure free agents.

3. Report: Robin Lopez discussing $12 million per year deal with Knicks; Lakers also a consideration

Jul 2, 2015, 9:22 PM EDT

New York Knicks v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

Lopez is solid, and New York and L.A. need talent after striking out with the big names thus far.

4. Report: Wizards trading for Bucks’ Jared Dudley

Jul 2, 2015, 7:07 PM EDT

Jared Dudley, Alexis Ajinca Jared Dudley, Alexis Ajinca

The Wizards will only give up a future second-rounder.

5. Report: Miami Heat’s Pat Riley will get dinner to try and woo LaMarcus Aldridge

Jul 2, 2015, 4:37 PM EDT

Portland Trail Blazers AP

It would take an unlikely sign-and-trade to make it happen.

6. Report: Tristan Thompson and Cavaliers reportedly apart in contract talks

Jul 2, 2015, 3:11 PM EDT

2015 NBA Finals - Game Five Getty Images

Thompson and Cleveland were reportedly nearing $80 million-plus deal yesterday

7. Tim Duncan says he’s not retiring

Jul 2, 2015, 2:06 PM EDT

San Antonio Spurs v Los Angeles Clippers - Game Seven Getty Images

Now, can the Spurs get LaMarcus Aldridge to complement him?

8. Report: Pistons signing Aron Baynes away from Spurs for up to $20 million over three years

Jul 2, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT

Andre Drummond, Aron Baynes AP

Baynes will reportedly get three-year deal with player option

9. Report: Pacers agree to four-year, $44 million contract with Monta Ellis

Jul 2, 2015, 1:23 PM EDT

Donald Sloan, Monta Ellis AP

Indiana shouldn’t feel good about this, even if it was their best option at this point

Top 10 NBA Player Searches