Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to”

Dec 5, 2013, 1:22 PM EST

Chicago Bulls v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

“I’m not done.”

That quote sums up what Derrick Rose said in about 25 different ways during his first press conference since tearing his meniscus, an injury that required surgery and is expected to sideline him for the season. The press conference was streamed on CSNChicago.com.

Rose was asked what he would say to those that doubt his return to his former form.

“You can be a fool if you want to (laughter in room),” Rose said. “I’m serious. I’ll be alright.”

He wouldn’t even rule out returning for this year’s playoffs if the Bulls make it, leaving that door just cracked a little.

“I mean if I’m healthy and the situation is right and my meniscus is fully healed — I’m playing,” Rose said.

There is next to zero chance of that happening, but Rose doesn’t really think about the public relations implications of his statements. That’s not how he is wired. Rose simply sounded like he always does — a guy who just wants to play. He admitted there were some “why me?” moments after this second injury (which happened on a simple cut to run back up the court) but he got past that pretty quickly.

He’s not changing who he is or his style of game.

“That’s the way that I play,” Rose said. “I play a unique way of playing basketball and I can’t change that…

“I could tear or hurt myself 10 more times. I’m never going to stop.”

When Rose does return to the Bulls next season this team could look quite different — Luol Deng will be a free agent, there are rumors the Bulls could amnesty Carlos Boozer and go harder into the free agent market with the space.

But don’t expect Rose to be the “rah-rah” recruiting type for the Bulls — if you love to play then you should want to play with him remains Rose’s philosophy.

“I think I can play with anyone, but I’ll never recruit (free agents),” he said.

Rose also said multiple times that this injury was just a fluke.

“With the first one, the ACL, okay I wasn’t taking care of my body like I was supposed to, so of course I could blame that on not taking care of my body,” Rose said. “But this one… come one man, I was having a good game. I was getting my rhythm the last two games I played in. I was getting in the rhythm of how I used to play. I was getting in condition more than anything for this season.

“Then for this one to happen, with me just turning to run back up the court, there is nothing to say about it, nothing to do about it, just be strong and I’ll be back.”

Rose said his story is far from done.

He just hopes that the chapters about knee injuries are behind him.

1. RavenzGunnerz - Dec 5, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I actually think Rose will surprise people and return earlier than people expected. There are many instances of players returning earlier with this injury.

I know for sure Rose wants to play, and I wouldn’t rule out him actually returning after the ASG… and the “Rose Return” will actually become a real life event.

2. fanofevilempire - Dec 5, 2013 at 1:57 PM

he took like 5 minutes to come up with that line…….
    best of luck to this kid, he can’t go out like this.

3. kinggw - Dec 5, 2013 at 2:11 PM

I respect his confidence, but he shouldn’t say a word until he is ready to return to the court.

4. chadley71 - Dec 5, 2013 at 2:38 PM

he needs to go back and play for Calipari, he would still be getting paid…. just by Kentucky this time!

• fanofevilempire - Dec 5, 2013 at 3:00 PM

he plays for free, and pimpin sneakers for free too.
      omg!

5. antistratfordian - Dec 5, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Why is he so stubborn about recruiting? No one is going to think less of him for spearheading personnel improvement. That should be one of his main priorities as a franchise leader; i.e. anything that helps Chicago get ring #7.

So that’s a poor attitude to have, imo – and it really isn’t fair to the fans if he lets his pride get in the way of going all out for rings.

• chitownmatt - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I think its more of a, “I’ll do my job and let the GM do his.”

Stars that publicly express their negative opinions about their team’s line-ups and personnel are usually whinny a-holes. Making it public that you, as a star player, are actively “recruiting” players is just about as bad. If you are recruiting someone, you are also in effect campaigning against someone else.

Just for hypothetical example, if Rose had campaigned for Howard, how would he ever look Noah in the eye again.

PS: I really don’t think Rose was too happy with his brother’s comments at the trade deadline last year.

• antistratfordian - Dec 5, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I think its more of a, “I’ll do my job and let the GM do his.”

Yeah, but that’s kind of skirting his responsibility as the face of the franchise. If he can help the GM improve the team, why not? I see absolutely no downside to that.

You don’t have to say anything negative about your roster to want to court, say, Ray Allen… or someone like that. LeBron did that and no one thought he was criticizing the Heat roster. It’s just a matter of figuring out how to do it diplomatically.

Pat Riley added Birdman while reinforcing the importance of Chris Bosh. There are ways – it’s all about tact.

Just for hypothetical example, if Rose had campaigned for Howard…

Yeah, but that’s a bad example. They have no need for a starting defensive center or another defensive specialist. They could use another dynamic scorer who can create his own shot. Why would Rose be opposed to going out of his way to attract a top SG free agent, for example? What harm is that going to do to either his image or the Bulls franchise?

6. homergreenz - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:07 PM

“With the first one, the ACL, okay I wasn’t taking care of my body like I was supposed to, so of course I could blame that on not taking care of my body.”

What’s this all about?

7. jgray30 - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Y can’t he just be fully healthy? The situation has to be right too? He doesn’t get paid to play in ideal situations. losing respect for this kid..

8. 2016olympics - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I love you Derrick.

9. edwardemanuelson - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Pride is a dangerous thing.

10. ravenswhat - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Don’t talk about it Drose, be about it. You’re all talk bro. And that MVP you won was stolen from Lebron that year.

11. jammer73 - Dec 5, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Mike North is your biggest fan.

12. rodge1 - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:11 PM

He used to be so humble. His arrogance came to light right after being given the MVP.

13. belleby123 - Dec 5, 2013 at 10:57 PM

What he says off the court doesn’t mean much to me. When he’s back and playing then he can make a statement.

14. doctordunkenstein - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:54 AM

What Rose really meant to say…

“I mean if I’m healthy and the situation is right and my meniscus is fully healed, and I regain the muscle memory in my legs, and the Bulls get me better teammates, and God is willing — I’m playing,” Rose said.

Can Rockets, Grizzlies keep up hot starts?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches