David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter

Dec 5, 2013, 5:52 PM EST

Anti-apartheid leader and African Nation Getty Images

Nelson Mandela, the iconic former president of South Africa who helped lead his nation out of the apartheid era to one of more equality, has passed away at the age of 95.

The loss is humanity’s, but the world is better off for his full and purposeful life.

NBA Commissioner Stern issued this statement on Mandela’s passing.

“Nelson Mandela was one of the most powerful and inspirational leaders in the world and a great friend of the NBA. He led his nation to democracy at incredible personal sacrifice, and in rebuilding it, he understood how to harness the power of sport to inspire and unite people of all backgrounds. Our thoughts and hopes are with the Mandela family and the people of South Africa, and while we mourn his passing we know that his legacy and quest for equality will endure.”

Some NBA players also took to twitter to express their thoughts.

1. JHathwell - Dec 5, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I just love it when Boogie gets profound.

2. hojo20 - Dec 5, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Nice pic of Zeke.

3. antistratfordian - Dec 5, 2013 at 7:15 PM

…and so he ascends into the heavens to take his place among the celestial pantheon of history’s greatest men and women. Rest in peace, Nelson Mandela.

4. rbern11162 - Dec 5, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Who cares about a second rate socialist , from a third rate country. Whose wife’s claim to fame is wrapping tires around people and setting them on fire.

5. hildezero - Dec 5, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Who or what the hell is, “Boogie”?…

• asimonetti88 - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Boogie Cousins!

6. wisconsinhillfolk - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:41 PM

A truly great human. As great as any. As human as any. We may never see his like again.

I was in high school when Reagan vetoed the anti-Apartheid measure passed by Congress (the veto was overridden). Reagan refused to utter the name Mandela and distrusted Tutu. I was in college when Reagan’s successor refused to denounce Apartheid.

Never forget.

7. brokerhenry - Dec 5, 2013 at 10:42 PM

On June 25th 2009, my 4 year old daughter was born in Margate, Florida just as it flashed on the news that Michael Jackson had died. I said to my wife that this child was born on the day Michael Jackson passed away. On Wednesday December 4th, my son was born here in Sydney, Australia. I have been so busy that I have not had the time to even listen to the BBC or watch any TV. I got to work this morning and people started coming to tell me congratulations on your new son, but that they were very sorry (I am black and my father came from Nigeria). I didn’t get it until my boss came in and said the same thing. I asked him what the hell was wrong with everybody why they kept thinking my only son would be such a chore!! He said you have no idea what happened do you? I felt a bad chill and sat down. He said bring up the Sydney morning herald. And there it was. I will never celebrate my son’s birthday without thinking of a truly great man. I am just stunned. I guess I just never thought Mandela would ever die. Rest in perfect peace Mr. Mandela. You are a giant among us. I refuse to use “were” about you. You are a giant among us and we will miss you. Journey home, my brother.

8. belleby123 - Dec 5, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Stern issuing comments on Mandela: an answer to a question nobody asked.

9. davidly - Dec 6, 2013 at 4:21 AM

I love Rolihlahla Mandela. I also agree with belleby123’s sentiment above.

What I don’t care for is one particular sub-textual narrative surrounding Mandela’s passing: the opportunity for the same states & orgs that locked him up–and continued to hound him as a terrorist even after his release–to remind the little people to stick to this most-praiseworthy and transcendent, non-violent behavior while the state employs violence in the name of a fabricated premise and with a phoney pretextual, pre-emptive vengeance on a massive scale.

Can red hot Warriors sustain success?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches