Dec 5, 2013, 4:37 PM EDT
The Boston Celtics may be on top of the Atlantic Division — at 8-12, but still on top of it — that doesn’t mean Rajon Rondo is rushing back to the court following ACL surgery.
In his weekly radio interview with Toucher and Rich on 98.5 The Sports Hub Ainge talked about weeks not days, as transcribed at the Boston Globe.
“I don’t think he’s close,” Ainge said. “I don’t think it’s gonna happen in the next few weeks. We’re not on pins and needles about it. We’re being very cautious with Rondo. He’s still got a little bit of a limp. He needs to get his strength back.”
“He’s just not himself yet, but he’s getting there and he’s pushing himself to get there,” Ainge said. “Listen, we’re going to be very cautious with him and make sure he’s right before he comes back. There’s just a little bit of a limp still, and he’s got to get that strength in his knee back to 100 percent before we’ll let him back out on the court.”
Boston is in no rush for him to return, if anything they want him to take his time. They are thinking about Rondo as a long-term building block (or as a trade piece, if you prefer). They are looking to rebuild and good draft picks in a deep draft can help speed that along.
Rondo has been cleared to do some practicing but he clearly is not near 100 percent yet. Maybe the Celtics will get him back as a Christmas present. Or maybe around New Year’s. Or… whenever he is ready.
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 10
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 23
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 16
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winners start with Lakers 24
- Stephen Curry, LeBron James unanimous choices, lead All-NBA First Team 24