Dec 4, 2013, 11:42 AM EDT
The Spurs will face the Timberwolves in Mexico City on Wednesday as part of the NBA’s 2013-14 Global Games schedule, which included eight preseason games played internationally and one more to be played in London on between the Hawks and the Nets on Jan. 16.
San Antonio’s players celebrated the occasion by taking on some kids in a game of barefoot basketball, and let’s just say that the Spurs didn’t take the contest all that seriously.
In a training session prior to the actual NBA game, the Spurs took on a team of young boys called the ‘Triquis’ from the Mexican state of Oaxaca. Both the Spurs and the Triquis played barefoot, with the Triquis winning 10-4.
The encounter took place at the Mexico City Arena, one of the biggest stadiums in the city. The youngsters were invited to visit their idols to take part in the training session, however, Gregg Popovich proposed a friendly match with bare feet. The Triquis kids showed their determination and ability, weaving and snatching around the giant Spurs players. The victory is impressive, though we suspect the Spurs went a little easy on the pint-sized players.
The way the Spurs have gotten off to a 15-3 start, it’s probably one of the very few times they’ll lose a game — with or without shoes on — the entire season.
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 6
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 19
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 27
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 46
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 24
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 20
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 22