Dec 4, 2013, 11:42 AM EDT
The Spurs will face the Timberwolves in Mexico City on Wednesday as part of the NBA’s 2013-14 Global Games schedule, which included eight preseason games played internationally and one more to be played in London on between the Hawks and the Nets on Jan. 16.
San Antonio’s players celebrated the occasion by taking on some kids in a game of barefoot basketball, and let’s just say that the Spurs didn’t take the contest all that seriously.
In a training session prior to the actual NBA game, the Spurs took on a team of young boys called the ‘Triquis’ from the Mexican state of Oaxaca. Both the Spurs and the Triquis played barefoot, with the Triquis winning 10-4.
The encounter took place at the Mexico City Arena, one of the biggest stadiums in the city. The youngsters were invited to visit their idols to take part in the training session, however, Gregg Popovich proposed a friendly match with bare feet. The Triquis kids showed their determination and ability, weaving and snatching around the giant Spurs players. The victory is impressive, though we suspect the Spurs went a little easy on the pint-sized players.
The way the Spurs have gotten off to a 15-3 start, it’s probably one of the very few times they’ll lose a game — with or without shoes on — the entire season.
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 11
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20