Dec 4, 2013, 11:42 AM EDT
The Spurs will face the Timberwolves in Mexico City on Wednesday as part of the NBA’s 2013-14 Global Games schedule, which included eight preseason games played internationally and one more to be played in London on between the Hawks and the Nets on Jan. 16.
San Antonio’s players celebrated the occasion by taking on some kids in a game of barefoot basketball, and let’s just say that the Spurs didn’t take the contest all that seriously.
In a training session prior to the actual NBA game, the Spurs took on a team of young boys called the ‘Triquis’ from the Mexican state of Oaxaca. Both the Spurs and the Triquis played barefoot, with the Triquis winning 10-4.
The encounter took place at the Mexico City Arena, one of the biggest stadiums in the city. The youngsters were invited to visit their idols to take part in the training session, however, Gregg Popovich proposed a friendly match with bare feet. The Triquis kids showed their determination and ability, weaving and snatching around the giant Spurs players. The victory is impressive, though we suspect the Spurs went a little easy on the pint-sized players.
The way the Spurs have gotten off to a 15-3 start, it’s probably one of the very few times they’ll lose a game — with or without shoes on — the entire season.
- PBT Extra: What does Kevin Love’s injury mean for his summer plans? 0
- Report: Lakers interested in signing Rajon Rondo as a free agent ‘only at a certain low price’ 18
- Cavs GM: It’s “highly unlikely” Kevin Love returns at all in playoffs, even if Cavs make Finals 30
- No Kevin Love, no J.R. Smith to start, how much trouble is Cleveland in? 26
- PBT Extra: Who wins Game 5 between Spurs, Clippers? Flip a coin. 8
- PBT Extra: Rockets must adjust to new Mavericks starting lineup in Game 5 10
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 5
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 25