Dec 4, 2013, 11:42 AM EST
The Spurs will face the Timberwolves in Mexico City on Wednesday as part of the NBA’s 2013-14 Global Games schedule, which included eight preseason games played internationally and one more to be played in London on between the Hawks and the Nets on Jan. 16.
San Antonio’s players celebrated the occasion by taking on some kids in a game of barefoot basketball, and let’s just say that the Spurs didn’t take the contest all that seriously.
In a training session prior to the actual NBA game, the Spurs took on a team of young boys called the ‘Triquis’ from the Mexican state of Oaxaca. Both the Spurs and the Triquis played barefoot, with the Triquis winning 10-4.
The encounter took place at the Mexico City Arena, one of the biggest stadiums in the city. The youngsters were invited to visit their idols to take part in the training session, however, Gregg Popovich proposed a friendly match with bare feet. The Triquis kids showed their determination and ability, weaving and snatching around the giant Spurs players. The victory is impressive, though we suspect the Spurs went a little easy on the pint-sized players.
The way the Spurs have gotten off to a 15-3 start, it’s probably one of the very few times they’ll lose a game — with or without shoes on — the entire season.
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Cavaliers shouldn’t hit panic button, may want to locate it 0
- Carmelo Anthony sits out second half vs. Portland with sore knee 2
- LeBron, after Cavaliers lose by 23 at home to Pistons: ‘Right now we are not very good. In every aspect of the game’ 29
- Paul Pierce ‘shocked’ by Celtics trade of Rajon Rondo to Mavericks 16
- Kobe Bryant will return to Lakers lineup Sunday vs. Suns 15
- Kevin Love benched entire fourth quarter of Cavaliers win over Magic 30
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 22
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 12