Dec 4, 2013, 12:04 PM EST
Omer Asik will be out for at least a week after suffering a right thigh contusion, reports Jason Friedman of Rockets.com. Asik will be re-evaluated at that time to assess whether or not he’s able to return.
Asik’s injury could leave Houston pretty shorthanded for Wednesday night’s contest against the Suns. Jeremy Lin is out with a sprained knee, Greg Smith is out with the same, and Chandler Parsons sat out of the Rockets’ loss in Utah on Monday with a sore back. Parsons went through shootaround, but his status remains up in the air for tip-off.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $90,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $10,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
If not for the overall lack of bodies, Asik’s absence wouldn’t appear to be a huge blow to the Rockets given the way the team has used him in recent games. He’s logged 15 minutes or less of court time in five of their last eight, while averaging 3.75 points and 6.25 rebounds during that span.
Asik has requested to be traded multiple times since Dwight Howard came to town, and the Rockets are listening to offers. Although with a current asking price that is insanely high along with this most recent setback, he’s not likely to be moved anytime soon.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 0
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 3
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1