Dec 4, 2013, 12:04 PM EST
Omer Asik will be out for at least a week after suffering a right thigh contusion, reports Jason Friedman of Rockets.com. Asik will be re-evaluated at that time to assess whether or not he’s able to return.
Asik’s injury could leave Houston pretty shorthanded for Wednesday night’s contest against the Suns. Jeremy Lin is out with a sprained knee, Greg Smith is out with the same, and Chandler Parsons sat out of the Rockets’ loss in Utah on Monday with a sore back. Parsons went through shootaround, but his status remains up in the air for tip-off.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $90,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $10,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
If not for the overall lack of bodies, Asik’s absence wouldn’t appear to be a huge blow to the Rockets given the way the team has used him in recent games. He’s logged 15 minutes or less of court time in five of their last eight, while averaging 3.75 points and 6.25 rebounds during that span.
Asik has requested to be traded multiple times since Dwight Howard came to town, and the Rockets are listening to offers. Although with a current asking price that is insanely high along with this most recent setback, he’s not likely to be moved anytime soon.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 0
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 6
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20