Dec 4, 2013, 12:04 PM EDT
Omer Asik will be out for at least a week after suffering a right thigh contusion, reports Jason Friedman of Rockets.com. Asik will be re-evaluated at that time to assess whether or not he’s able to return.
Asik’s injury could leave Houston pretty shorthanded for Wednesday night’s contest against the Suns. Jeremy Lin is out with a sprained knee, Greg Smith is out with the same, and Chandler Parsons sat out of the Rockets’ loss in Utah on Monday with a sore back. Parsons went through shootaround, but his status remains up in the air for tip-off.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $90,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $10,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
If not for the overall lack of bodies, Asik’s absence wouldn’t appear to be a huge blow to the Rockets given the way the team has used him in recent games. He’s logged 15 minutes or less of court time in five of their last eight, while averaging 3.75 points and 6.25 rebounds during that span.
Asik has requested to be traded multiple times since Dwight Howard came to town, and the Rockets are listening to offers. Although with a current asking price that is insanely high along with this most recent setback, he’s not likely to be moved anytime soon.
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 7
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 7
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 19
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 6
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 23
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 64