Otto Porter close to making Wizards debut, Thursday practice key

Dec 4, 2013, 5:14 PM EST

2013 NBA Rookie Photo Shoot Getty Images

The Washington Wizards have gone 7-3 in their last 10 and have moved into the No. 3 seed in the East (at 9-9, but still the three seed) all without having the No. 3 pick in the last draft Otto Porter, who was supposed to be the starting three on this team.

But they could get him back soon — maybe even Friday — reports J. Michael at CSNWashington.com.

“I feel good, for the first time, going up and down (the court),” Porter said after an almost two-hour session at Verizon Center on Wednesday. “I don’t know about Friday. But I feel like I’m getting more in shape.”

“I liked what I saw today. At the end, he got winded,” (Wizards coach Randy) Wittman said. “That’s going to be expected. It’ll be interesting to see what kind of bounce he’s got coming in tomorrow on a back-to-back (practice). Like I told you with Chris, it’s kind of a feel. He’s not going to come in and play 30 minutes. We’re going to ease him in.”

Porter played some in the Summer League (he struggled as the style of play there doesn’t fit his game well) but suffered a hip flexor injury in preparing for training camp. He missed all of camp and the preseason, now has to hit the ground running in the regular season.

Thanks to good play from Trevor Ariza and Martell Webster, the Wizards don’t have to rush Porter back. They can ease him into minutes, let him find his way.

He’s a potentially great fit with John Wall and Bradley Beal, but as the goal remains making the playoffs this season in Washington, expect to keep seeing a lot of Webster and Ariza.

1. pbtunpaidwriter - Dec 4, 2013 at 5:22 PM

I have no clue how this kid is going to be in the NBA. He was good in college, pretty bad in the preseason and he’s definitely not better than Ariza or Webster right now, although he does have a very similar game to them.

2. htownred34 - Dec 4, 2013 at 5:57 PM

9-9 is the 3rd seed in the EC???

• asimonetti88 - Dec 4, 2013 at 6:30 PM

They’re leading their division.

• asimonetti88 - Dec 4, 2013 at 6:34 PM

I spoke too soon, they are not leading their division, but they do have the third best record in the Eastern Conference. Miami and Indiana are the only teams in the East above .500, with the Wizards sitting at .500. I did not realize how pitiful the East was this year. All of the teams in the Southwest are above .500, there are only 2 in all of the East!

• shanelsweet - Dec 4, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Yes, sir! Besides being in the 3rd seed spot, this is the first time the Wiz have been at .500 since 2009 when they were 2 and 2. Before that, it’s been forever since they’ve won more than they’ve lost.

3. kchoya - Dec 4, 2013 at 9:05 PM

“Pretty bad in the preseason?” Seeing as how he didn’t play in the preseason, that’s a curious statement.

4. uscoach - Dec 4, 2013 at 11:10 PM

I want to see him play but I don’t have a good feeling on it. I really like Webster and Ariza has been playing well. Even Jan Vessely has been solid for the Wiz. I’m thinking this guy is the 4th or 5th off the bench.

5. grumpyredskin23 - Dec 5, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Go Bullets!!! I mean Wizards

Can Rockets, Grizzlies keep up hot starts?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches