Dec 4, 2013, 5:59 PM EST
Larry Sanders has been out since early November when he got involved in a bar fight and tore ligaments in his thumb so badly it required surgery to repair the hand. Sanders has since apologized to fans and the team for the incident.
But it’s not over yet.
Sanders has been cited twice for his role in the fight by the Milwaukee Police Department, which also released video footage of the fight (seen above courtesy fox6now.com News). Sanders is in white and the incident starts on a platform area in the upper right area of the video.
Sanders has been cited for disorderly conduct and assault and battery charges, reports the Journal Sentinel. Those are “municipal citations” — meaning tickets — with fines totaling $551 but police said they not pursue criminal charges.
Sanders attorney told the paper they plan to fight the charges.
Michael Hart, Sanders’ attorney, said Wednesday that Sanders was not the aggressor in the incident.
“We are going to defend him,” Hart said. “He has gotten a bad rap. The facts will bear that out.”
A police official said at least one other person would be ticketed in connection with the incident.
In the video it is not clear what starts the fight (TMZ says it started near the VIP section of the club when Sanders was splashed with champagne) but at one point a number of men seem to be hitting or trying to hit Sanders as he slides toward a booth on a slippery floor. Once there a friend prevents him from going back into the fray, so Sanders appears to throw bottles into the crowd, which escalates everything again.
Sanders signed a new four-year, $44 million contract with the Bucks this past summer. They touted him as a defensive anchor for the team going forward, but due to this incident and injury he has only played in three games this season.
The Bucks are 3-14 on the season.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 18
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 16
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 61
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13