Dec 4, 2013, 5:59 PM EDT
Larry Sanders has been out since early November when he got involved in a bar fight and tore ligaments in his thumb so badly it required surgery to repair the hand. Sanders has since apologized to fans and the team for the incident.
But it’s not over yet.
Sanders has been cited twice for his role in the fight by the Milwaukee Police Department, which also released video footage of the fight (seen above courtesy fox6now.com News). Sanders is in white and the incident starts on a platform area in the upper right area of the video.
Sanders has been cited for disorderly conduct and assault and battery charges, reports the Journal Sentinel. Those are “municipal citations” — meaning tickets — with fines totaling $551 but police said they not pursue criminal charges.
Sanders attorney told the paper they plan to fight the charges.
Michael Hart, Sanders’ attorney, said Wednesday that Sanders was not the aggressor in the incident.
“We are going to defend him,” Hart said. “He has gotten a bad rap. The facts will bear that out.”
A police official said at least one other person would be ticketed in connection with the incident.
In the video it is not clear what starts the fight (TMZ says it started near the VIP section of the club when Sanders was splashed with champagne) but at one point a number of men seem to be hitting or trying to hit Sanders as he slides toward a booth on a slippery floor. Once there a friend prevents him from going back into the fray, so Sanders appears to throw bottles into the crowd, which escalates everything again.
Sanders signed a new four-year, $44 million contract with the Bucks this past summer. They touted him as a defensive anchor for the team going forward, but due to this incident and injury he has only played in three games this season.
The Bucks are 3-14 on the season.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 3
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 9
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 8
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 13
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25